Wanting some help on building a computer.

Also, FWIW, I'm at 1080 and running a i3-2105 with at 560 ti 448 and 8 gigs of 1333 RAM and stay above 40 frames per second on 64-man Battlefield 3, even when in a fire fight.

I'm CPU bound, but not by much. In a game that isn't quite so CPU intensive, I'd STILL be heavily GPU bound.

omg you use bit-tech too! :]

They have their issues, but overall, they're a good site.

Yes since like early 2011 they have been very fanboyish, but for the most part the numbers don't lie.

If I ever doubt I just head over to anandtech.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

I was going to respond, but just, wow.

::slowly backs away::

I'm eager to hear What you have to say actually

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

This is all from Newegg. Totals out to $1647, and you'll need to bring your own monitor, mouse, and keyboard. For the monitor, I'd choose something that's either at 27 inch resolution (2560 x 1440) or 120hz.

This may not be the best build, but I think this is what I would do. Feel free to take this and tweak it as yall see fit. The goal here was to get the best bang for the buck while still having a bit of expandability.

Case

Hard Drive

SSD

Graphics Card

Power Supply

TIM (Arctic Silver is capacitive. Likely it wouldn't, but it can cause issue. Also, it takes a while for it to "set" and give you proper temps)

RAM (16 GB is more than you need, but RAM is cheap; you may as well buy a lot of it now)

Processor

Motherboard

CPU Cooler (it will fit in the top of the case)

Hard drives are still carrying a price premium. That Samsung drive is faster than most drives, and cheaper than most of the comparable drives as well.

The SSD can be exchanged for a different brand's (Vertex 3, Samsung 830, Corsair Force GT, Intel). I'm just partial to Crucial. I'm still not convinced of OCZ's quality, Samsung is awesome, but more expensive than Crucial. Corsair is (last time I checked) more expensive as well but still good. The Intel is the most expensive, and they claim to be more reliable. Is that reliability worth the extra cost? That's up to you. The actual day-to-day performance is going to be very, very similar no matter what drive you get. If you want to save a little cash, you can downgrade to a 128 gig SSD, but I personally wouldn't go any lower than that.

The graphics card is going to be overkill for 60hz 1080 gaming. Again, I'd suggest a higher resolution panel, or a higher refresh rate. You could also do multi-display gaming, but expect to lower quality settings a bit. If you aren't going to do any of those things, then downgrading to a lesser graphics card may suit you.

The power supply is more than is needed, but you don't want to run the power supply at more than 80% capacity. You want a bit of headroom. Personally, I'd rather too much power supply than not enough. This also leaves you room if you want to upgrade to an SLI situation. Also, do you NEED the HX series? Nah. But I like the fact that the non-modular cables are limited to things you WILL use. I think this is the same platform as the Seasonic X series? Not sure. But I know it is Seasonic sourced.

I chose the 2500k over the 3570k because there is a small difference in performance, but the 2500k can take voltage better. Meaning if you're overclocking, you'll get better performance out the the Sandy Bridge part, if only by a small margin.

I've had good experiences with Asus. This board allows a x8/x8 pci-e set up for if you want to go SLI. If you know you aren't going to get another GTX670, then you can downgrade to a lesser board. I THINK this is the cheapest board Asus offers with the Z77 chipset that has x8/x8 configuration.

EDIT:

(I made a couple edits up top for clarification/left out information)

I guess I'll add that I'm normally not a fan of all-in-one liquid coolers, but the H100 is hard to beat unless you want to run a full loop. You MAY have problems with the fan/pump making noise, but keep returning them until you get one that's quiet.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

just to piggy back, the samsung isnt a sata III drive. thats the only issue i could see with it. i own 4 of them on my P45 comp so they're great drives.

the SSD is much larger than necessary, a 120 will do IMO.

since his budget is 1900, might as well do a 680 instead of a 670.

aftermarket cooling for video cards is preferred than reference coolers.

silver certified PSU isnt needed since the load will be around the butterzone of 30-50% anyways, bronze will do if certs are a must.

8gb is plenty of ram, pagefile will do the rest on a SSD. so this will do. put the extra money to the 680.

only thing i could see wrong with that. just constructive feedback. good build otherwise, asus, gigabyte. cant go wrong.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

You guys are trying to kill a fly with a sledgehammer. He wants a computer to play BF3, he told us his budget, that doesnt mean he NEEDS to spend that much.

I never buy the newest graphics card. I always go a gen lower. There is no reason to get the newest, because most of the time it wont run at full speed unless you have the fastest CPU.

That and no one knows what rez he's running at. A 480 will be close to a 680 @ 1280x1024, so why spend 300+ more for it?

2011 is like 1366, its cool to have, and looks neat on paper, but real world most wont see much difference.

I like the Crucial M4's better than the Intels. Hardware garbage collection and TRIM are better on the Crucial models.

I run Gskill in my machine, Corsair generally has lower latencey.

I HATE Antec power supplies. Every single one I've owned has blown up.

Get a 64gb ssd if thats all you can afford, then set you documents and stuff to go to a cheaper platter drive, problem solved.

all in all, you dont need a 1800$ computer to play BF3 over 100 FPS. Hell, I do it on mine and it was about 1000.

You guys are trying to kill a fly with a sledgehammer. He wants a computer to play BF3, he told us his budget, that doesnt mean he NEEDS to spend that much.

I never buy the newest graphics card. I always go a gen lower. There is no reason to get the newest, because most of the time it wont run at full speed unless you have the fastest CPU.

That and no one knows what rez he's running at. A 480 will be close to a 680 @ 1280x1024, so why spend 300+ more for it?

2011 is like 1366, its cool to have, and looks neat on paper, but real world most wont see much difference.

I like the Crucial M4's better than the Intels. Hardware garbage collection and TRIM are better on the Crucial models.

I run Gskill in my machine, Corsair generally has lower latencey.

I HATE Antec power supplies. Every single one I've owned has blown up.

Get a 64gb ssd if thats all you can afford, then set you documents and stuff to go to a cheaper platter drive, problem solved.

all in all, you dont need a 1800$ computer to play BF3 over 100 FPS. Hell, I do it on mine and it was about 1000.

that was pretty good. but 480s are FUCKING FIRE MACHINES. i own a 470, and i dont need a heater in the winter. and thats with the zotac AMP! dual 92mm fans on the bitch.

for ABSOLUTELY seemless playback on any game, especially BF3, with no lag spikes, and no worry of dropping below 60 fps. 680.

i got a 560ti 448 cores in this computer and its not enough to stay at 60 fps. i dip down to like 40 or sometimes 22. (i7 2600k, SSD, 1866mhz ram, etc etc)

he gave us a budget for a reason.. we're still spending only about 1600 for perfect gaming. i dont see the problem here.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

8gb is plenty of ram, pagefile will do the rest on a SSD. so this will do. put the extra money to the 680.

Its 100$ for 16 gigs. Disable the pagefile and add about 10 years to the life of your SSD.

You're welcome.

if you keep a computer for 10 years in the gaming industry, your dumb.

SSD will last a very long time as it is. 3000 write cycles per NAND at the moment.

so at the very least, 5 years.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

Hrmm. Odd. I have a 470. I replaced all the thermal paste with Ceramique and I dont think I've ever seen it get above 50, and it idles around 32. I also use precision tune to control the fan settings.

Lag spikes and framerate drops are as much about software setup as it is hardware.

I play BF3 maxed at 1920x1080

Asus Sabertooth x58

EVGA 470 GTX Overclocked

2 64gb Crucial M4's in a RAID 0

24 gb of GSkill Ripjaw memory

i7 920 @ 3.8 ghz

Corsair H100

If you're running the same, and your computer is dropping frames, you've got other issues.

Do you know what a pagefile does? Good, then you know why it will kill an SSD faster than Micheal Jackson on sleeping pills.

GA-P45-UD3P

Zotac AMP! 470 at 850/1700/2000

samsung f3 1tb

4gb patriot 1066

Q9550 @4ghz on air

replaced the thermal on my videocard as well.

dips down to around 30 in high action sections sometimes. (also 1920x1080)

as for the 560ti 448 cores, i was referring to its frames across all games that ive played. 22 being the lowest that ive seen.

but anything with high levels tessellation rapes the card to the ground.

the other computer is

GA-Z68A-D3H-B3

i7 2600k stock clocks

g skill 1866 8gb

560ti 448 cores at stock

OCZ vertex 3

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

Archived