Second Skin Audio

fiberglass reinforcement

3 layers on all the seams DOES help. I use a combination of wood bracing and the glass matt. But I wouldn't rely on either one by itself. But 3 layers on all seams with some other bracing will stiffen it up and it will seal you up tight.

first off, if you need bracing on a joint, then you suck at building boxes. plain and simple. go ahead and argue with me if you want to.

second, read the thread.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

put as much glass as you want. its your box but i think 3 layers will be fine. now if you have more left over that your not going to use on anything else then use that till its out

also pick up a few 1" oak wooden dowls to brace it even more.

Edited by PowerHouse407

2003 VW Jetta Wagon AA Mayhem 15's Flatline BA2 2 XS D3100's in rear Shuriken BT80 under hood

Mike Singer 250A SHCA and KnuKonceptz wire Big 4+

AQ / Dayton pro mids+monsoon tweets

My Build : http://www.stevemead...35#entry1989435

For bracing, there will be a 10" wide 3/4" board that the pvc is connected to almost dead center from the middle of the baffle to the center of the bottom. The largest area without an internal brace is 14", which has a steel ring on the outside and 3 phatty layers of glass on the inside.

XS-power1.jpg

thats sick man! you should be good with what you have now, those barrels are beefy to start with right?

04 dodge dakota ext cab 4x4

excessive amperage 300 amp alt with MONSTER stud =)sundown z v3 15 in a 4th order on aq2200sundown 100.4 2 way active...2 Prv audio 6mb200 & 2 re XXX tweetersdeka intimidatorkenwood x396big 3 1/0 knu wire back to deka intimidator

thats sick man! you should be good with what you have now, those barrels are beefy to start with right?

thanks, yes they are very strong. Its solid oak, reinforced with metal, I'm certain that it should work out very well. the goal was something as strong as concrete but not so heavy. Lol

XS-power1.jpg

lol!!! That wood is hard as rock and will have no flex from what a subwoofer can produce. Those barrels can hold several 100 psi of pressure. As a joke we used a fresh from the distillery one for a compressor tank. Thing actually held 140 psi for months. The fiberglass is a good Idea for another reason though. The older the barrel gets once it has been drained the joints will begin to separate.;It is a tiny bit but it loosens the structural integrity of the barrel. I would suggest you seal the inside with fiberglass and if you do bother with braces, make them push the staves out towards the steel bands. As dense as those staves are they use to make those barrels I bet that its going to be one hell of a solid box.

I don't care if you can hear me from down the block....I just want to make sure you FEEL me from there...

I'm a swinger, can I borrow your wife for a few?

lol!!! That wood is hard as rock and will have no flex from what a subwoofer can produce. Those barrels can hold several 100 psi of pressure. As a joke we used a fresh from the distillery one for a compressor tank. Thing actually held 140 psi for months. The fiberglass is a good Idea for another reason though. The older the barrel gets once it has been drained the joints will begin to separate.;It is a tiny bit but it loosens the structural integrity of the barrel. I would suggest you seal the inside with fiberglass and if you do bother with braces, make them push the staves out towards the steel bands. As dense as those staves are they use to make those barrels I bet that its going to be one hell of a solid box.

yes it is before doing any work I made sure the barrel completely dried out with a heat lamp so that anything that was going to separate would separate at the maximum distance, which ended up being very little separation, there were only a few boards that showed maybe a 1 millimeter gap, nothing ever became loose or flimsy, so I picked a good 1.

XS-power1.jpg