Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Well, actually my second, but I won't have my subs until next month. I bought the DD-1 before having the whole setup. But this was a good learning experience.

Anyway, buddy of mine with a '10 Tahoe has an L5 in a ported box running off some 500w mono, stock door speakers,, and a decent HU. He got it all installed at cartoys, which looked pretty shitty. I couldn't believe how much he paid for it all. I have no idea how his gear is wired or anything and neither does he. I offered to tune his setup with the DD-1 since I had one already, he had never heard of it and said cartoys tuned his and he hasn't messed with anything since getting it in.

I looked at his setup, the gain, crossover, and bass boost were all at 12 o'clock. After finding where his HU clipped I checked his amp. Sure enough there was clipping as cartoys had installed. I tried tuning it with track 5 as he said he want the compromise of SQ and SPL. I asked where he wanted his bass boost and he wasn't sure, he had left it how they set it up. He just said he wanted more bass.

I quickly discovered that as you turn up the bass boost, your gains need to go down. I worked the bass boost higher and higher with the gains going lower by using the DD-1 while asking him if he wanted more. I ended up going to track 7 and tuning it and eventually we had the bass boost all the way up, the gain was about 8 o'clock, and I could start hearing a difference in the output of the subwoofer and his mirrors were now shaking.

In the end he was happier and to his ears it was much improved and even I could tell his setup was hitting harder.

I know very little about car stereo, haven't even completely installed my first set of woofers and I can tell you this tool is the real deal. He said he might need me to hook him up later. He's thinking about changing the setup. Maybe next time I should charge him.

Posted

If I were you: Bass boost to zero, set the gains with track 3 or 5 on the amp. Track 7 is only for if he never listens to rap or anything similar.

Posted (edited)

you need to wall the vehicle NOW its a DD-1 restriction

you need to wall the vehicle NOW its a DD-1 restriction

Well, seeing as he has 5 or 6 kids....

Edited by joblo1978
Posted

you need to wall the vehicle NOW its a DD-1 restriction

you need to wall the vehicle NOW its a DD-1 restriction

Well, seeing as he has 5 or 6 kids....

Make a huge ass port and put some seats inside the box?

Posted

If I were you: Bass boost to zero, set the gains with track 3 or 5 on the amp. Track 7 is only for if he never listens to rap or anything similar.

That's another good idea. I just used the directions.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2967 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...