Second Skin Audio

No Birch at my Local Lowes!

Lowes birch sucks anyways. Search for lumber yards near you that carry 13-ply baltic birch.

x2. Menards carries it too but it is expensive

I just picked up more mdf @ Menards yesterday. $32.65 for a 3/4" 4 x 8 sheet. I looked at 13 ply birch too and it was $36 for a 4 x 8 sheet so the price difference isn't that much.

Baltic Birch at Menards here comes in a 4x8 sheet and is $50. Lumber yard has it for $35 but it's a 5X5 sheet. I ended up having to go with MDF because I needed 8 sheets for my build and couldn't justify $150 for a few pounds.

Sounds good

~Team Nussiance~

Head Unit: Sony MEX-BT38UW

Amplifier: 1 AQ2200d for break in period

Subwoofers: 2 AQ HDC3 18's

Mids and Highs: 1 pair of AQ PA-6.5's and 1 pair of AQ PA Supertweets

Scores: 148.1db @47hz

146db- Dash

143.8db- Headrest

Both on music

As far as strength goes though? I plan on glassing my box no matter what.

~Team Nussiance~

146db- Dash

143.8db- Headrest

Both on music

Use Mdf screws, you'll need to predrill anyway but those really make a difference.

mdf screws? lol. care too explain..ive been in construction for many moons never heard of these....also birch is so much stronger an lighter imo..did you guys know that mdf is porous you can suck a piece of paper with a shop vac through a 3/4 piece....and if you take subs in an out you will strip mdf easy

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

Use Mdf screws, you'll need to predrill anyway but those really make a difference.

mdf screws? lol. care too explain..ive been in construction for many moons never heard of these....also birch is so much stronger an lighter imo..did you guys know that mdf is porous you can suck a piece of paper with a shop vac through a 3/4 piece....and if you take subs in an out you will strip mdf easy

No shit? I know birch is the way to go. Its just getting to be a pita to find it in my city right now.

~Team Nussiance~

146db- Dash

143.8db- Headrest

Both on music

Damn no menards here. I'll definitely check home depot. But I'll more than likely just stick with mdf. Thing i hate about it is that is splits so easily on edges.

Predrill all your holes and stay a minimum of 3" from any edge and you shouldn't have any splitting. Oh and make sure you center the screw in the edge your putting it in and drive it in straight.

I had probobly 40 screws in my last box and not one split anywhere.

How can you stay 3" away from any edge? :o

Lol I mean stay 3" away from the edge of the corners. So let's say you have a 90 degree corner, from the end of that stay at least 3" from that so the end of the wood doesn't split. :good:

Don't feel bad, I've never heard of mdf screws either lol.

And that's crazy mdf is so porous. I knew it was to a point but not that bad!