How do you choose caliber and your ammo for Self Defense Carry

I need to go to the sheriffs office to apply for a concealed carry permit but for now the "home defense" pieces are my HK USP .45 and 870. I keep Winchester white box JHP in the pistol and 2 3/4" bird shot in the shotgun. I'm not to worried about loading it with premium self defense loads cause shot placement makes up for that plus I'm familiar with how it feels and functions in my pistol. As for the shotgun I use bird shot because I live in an apartment and wouldn't want any stray 00 buck or slugs punching though the neighbors walls (not that the spread would be that big anyways). Heaven forbid a situation arose it would be a close engagement so that's why I pick that ammo. I choose my HK because I'm very familiar with it and it's been extremely reliable same thing with my 870.

As for a carry, I would probably carry my 5.7 for the same reason Derrick does and it's less cumbersome than the HK. There are two many guns I want but the wifey and I have been talking about getting another pistol for me to carry. But when that time comes I'd still have to do a few fam. fires to get the feel and how it performs before I get the warm and fuzzy carrying it.