Sundown Audio

Thoughts on Zapco AG650...

Bigsix

So, ya...exactly that. Whatcha think about the Zapco AG650 6ch?

Anyone have any experience with them? I have a 3 way comp set in my doors, and I want to ditch the crossovers and have been looking at my options.. was looking at running 2, possibly 3 amps to run my doors.. Then I came across this amp on my buddys shelf of stuff. Amp works fine, mechanically its a 10/10.. Cosmetically its like a 6. there are a fair amount of scratches on the case. He isn't ever going to use it, and said he'd sell it to me for ~250 bucks, that sound like a fair price? Would this be a good choice for running my doors active? I have never heard zapco amps in person, from what I can find on the 'net (which isnt a whole lot), this is supposed to be a nice quality piece.

Thoughts?

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Zapco makes a great product ... you should be happy with this if it works properly being used ...

Do you have a active crossover / equivalant ??

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Zapco makes a great product ... you should be happy with this if it works properly being used ...

Do you have a active crossover / equivalant ??

I was under the impression the amp itself was capable of doing what I need for me to run active. From what I saw, at least 2 of the channels are band pass-able, 2 channels have 10x setting on the high pass, and 2 are intended for mid/sub bass...

So I was figuring to run my tweets on 2 ch's, my 5.25 mids on the band-pass able channels, and my 8 inch mid basses on the remaining two.

tweets crossed over around 3k hz, the mids from 250 to 3khs, and the 8s from 50/60 to 250 hz.

Sound right or is this no bueno?

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Sounds great to me ... but I would try to overlap some if possible ... I run my tweeters down to almost 2000 htz ... and those 8s should be good down to 40 htz (my 6.5s play full range all of the time with no problems) ... Just my suggestion ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

thanks for your input cableguy.. how much would you recommend over lapping the speakers? Keep in mind my speakers are most likely nowhere near as nice as what you are running... I have had my 8's playing down to 50hz with no issues... so Ill see how they like 40hz. What would you recommend as a good "base line" for setting all my crossovers at, with a decent overlap ? The doors are using a 3 way, Oxygen air 83 comp set... I might be looking at some different tweets tho, I want to see if going active makes me happy with their sound, at this point Im not sure if its the tweets, or the passive crossover that makes me not like their sound. I like my tweets to be on the bright side of things.

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

All I can say is test and tweek ... there is no one "end all be all" setting to a great stereo ...

I'm always tweeking on mine ... and I'm just 2 way passive on my front stage with a center ...

Cool. Then its test and tweak once I get it all in... Thanks for the advice.

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

you have a link to a build log ?? I'l like to brouse around and see what we working with ...

Ill see if I can find it again.. I havent updated it in a long time so its probably 20 pages back by now and I have changed things around a few times, and changed my mind even more, so the log is way behind... I might as well just start a new one once I get moving on it again. Its a '99 Town Car, nothing special..250amp alt, couple runs of zero, Kinetic 2400, little bit of glass work on the doors, had SA 12's in it, then went to a Z series 18 on a DAT 2500.1, the DAT cooked itself, and I decided I wanted my trunk back, so Im in the midst of a minor tear down.. Ill be running one 12 on about 1500 watts once I get around to buying some more MDF and a new sub stage amp... Not an all out SPL ride, nor a true SQ build, just a kinda loud clean sounding daily driver.

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Here Joo go mang:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/134246-bigsixs-new-build-lincoln-town-car-sundown-zv2-3k-almost-ready-to-make-noise/page__fromsearch__1

Like I said been a while since I updated it, its missing pieces here and there.. never did the 15s in the fourth order... and I have a whole buncha pics I need to throw in it as to what has been in it and out of it in the past month and a half or so....

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO