Second Skin Audio

2 Obsidian 15's.

BobbyG2

I was really hesitant to purchase my subs, because there's just SOO many options out there! But I finally decided.

I just ordered my first of what's going to eventually be two Obsidian 15's for my Mountaineer!

It should be here sometime today! I'll be putting it in a temporary box (my friends HT box, 8cu.ft., 14Hz Tuning, should flex my truck like mad if I let it Lol), and take it easy on the volume knob, until I get my next paycheck on the 21st, than I'll order a second and build the box for them!

I was thinking of getting two of these: http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=268-354

And doing something around 7.5cu.ft. tuned ~28-30Hz (I like the sound of a low tuned box)

And I'll be running them off of an Sundown SAE 1200D at 1 ohm (Dual 4 Ohm Voicecoils)

Here's what I was thinking for the box, subs up port back towards hatch, double baffle.

2obsidian15s.png

Do I get the SMD go-ahead? :)

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

Looks like you could use some more port area. And you might want to go for a slot port... Tuning that low with a proper amount of port area, the port will probably be longer than the depth of your box.

Oh I was just going by Obsidian's recommended port area, they recommend a 4" aero for the 12's, a 6" aero for the 18's, and somewhere in between for the 15's.

Think on the power I have I'll have issues with port noise?

EDIT:

I have that 15 in my truck right now, sounds freaking amazing! Pretty loud, especially for being in a 8cuft box tuned to 14hz with a 4" aero. Flexxing a lot too.

1 things for certain now though, I need to upgrade my door speakers. Lol

I do have a sheet of MDF that's been sitting in my screen room a couple months, so hopefully I can use it to build most of my box 'till I can get another sheet in a week and a half.

I just wont feel safe building it unless I'm 100% that the box will perform well. It's hard work building a box! I've built a few before, and I'm descent at designing them, but I am no master woodworker by any means lol

If the two 6" ports aren't enough port area, how well would this work? I wasn't sure what to put as the port length to have a whole side as the port, and have a 6" opening at the end.

slotportobsidian18s.png

boxdrawing.png

Here's some max dimension's just for reference:

Plastic molding on floor in from of hatch, edge where carpet stops to hatch: 3.5"

Top of Rear Seat to edge of plastic molding: 36"

Bottom of rear seat to plastic molding: 38"

Inside wheel well to inside wheel well: 42"

Floor to top of rear seat (at a 90' angle, not length of the back of seat): 19"

Door opening width (Thinnest point): 47"

Door opening Height: 33"

Inside wheel well to side panel: 4.5"

Height of floor to roof (Highest Point): 36"

And for shits and giggles, Top of front seat(Fully reclined) to edge of rear trim: 65"

Oh I was just going by Obsidian's recommended port area, they recommend a 4" aero for the 12's, a 6" aero for the 18's, and somewhere in between for the 15's.

Hell, I could be wrong. I guess wait till someone with more experience chimes in.

And for your new design, I'm pretty sure port height should be 16.75. Also looks like you forgot to check sub upward.

I'm gonna start building my original design tomorrow, it seems to match Obsidian's recommended specs, maybe a little more port area than recommended actually. Thanks for your input man, if you wanted to see my progress I'll post it in my build log.

Archived