Doors in '98 Toyota Avalon

Replaced my original 40W Max 4 Ohm 5" door speakers with some Infinity Reference 4022i 5.25" speakers before I knew anything about speakers.

The infinity's sound like shit, they definitely cannot handle the power that my HU puts out. So I picked up some $8 6.5" speakers off partsexpress. The stock speakers were in a plastic ported enclosure that sits inside of the door. I'm thinking about 2 of the 6.5"s in each door to get back to a 4 ohm load on my hu, but I don't know how to do it. Any tips or ideas would really help because this is my first time doing anything new to doors. Let me know what kind of info would help to figure this out.

New speakers are on the left,(GRS 6.5" 8 Ohm 85RMS) old on the right.

ry9rC.jpg

What I'm working with now. The 6.5 has some 3 inch screw just holding it up to the old enclosure. Only the magnet fits inside lol.

G0KU0.jpg

Interior panel ( Just the 6.5 will be installed, Ignore the 5.25)

Rn9KC.jpg

Current System:

Clarion CZ702

Stock 5 channel amplifier

Infinity Reference 4022i 4"

GRS 6.5"

Audiopipe 1800.1

2 RE Audio SEX V2's In a 4th order ported though the armrest

2003 130 Amp Toyota Highlander alternator

what do you mean they cant handle the power? you do realize that infinity speakers (which kinda suck) are 2 ohm? the ones you're installing are 8 ohms.

you probably had the headunit sending out bass signals to the speaker, which would make it distort. its not the speakers fault, its the user.

edit: plus, headunits output like 20w per channel max. maybe 25 at 2 ohms. so its not a power issue whatsoever.

Edited by Kranny

Yea, I realize that the infinity's suck. I didn't realize that when I dropped $100 on them. And I don't know much, that's why I'm asking. My HU doesn't have many options for adjusting anything. So until I upgrade it I don't have many options. Is there something else I could do? I mean shit, I got the 6.5's so I'll put them in, but could I do a HPF of some sort to cut out the lower frequency's of the music?

oh, and could I just take out the plastic oem enclosure and use a piece of mdf to mount the 6.5?

Current System:

Clarion CZ702

GRS 6.5"

Audiopipe 1800.1

when you put the 6.5's in, they're gonna be quiet. since they're gonna get like 10w. an easy solution to make speakers not distort is to just turn the bass down on the headunit/ipod whatever.

I thought your name said little hitler at first, that's why i clicked on ur thread

Lmao.

They may only get 10W but the one I have mocked up is a helluva lot louder then the 5.25. What about running 2 to get a 4 ohm load like my HU recommends?

Even with all the way down and loudness off the old speakers sound like straight garbage. They were good for a while but as with everything more is better.

Current System:

Clarion CZ702

GRS 6.5"

Audiopipe 1800.1

What model are your speakers from parts express?

I've installed those kappas and people have liked them.

They can be bright on the tweeter and like most budget aftermarket stuff not intended for bass, but if set up right you can easily clean that and they get loud off little power, very efficient.

1st Setup(SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 Audioque SDC2.5 15 subs8.7 cubes at 37hz build DONEAudioque 1200d (Audioque 1200d Sold, similar performance to my ap1500)Diamond Audio Hex 6.5 Mids n TweetsCerwin Vega Exl 400 4 channel Bridged(also have MTX 4004 not being used)1 Run of power Knu Fleks 4 Gauge2 Cheap stock Battery setup2nd Setup (SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 15 Kicker cvx (maybe two SA 15 in future)7 cubes net tuned at 34hzAlphasonik Old school 1600rms (ap 1500d sold GREAT Budget amp)JBL 6.5 Power Series Components, Infinity Kappa 6.5 3 ways, and 2 Kicker KS Tweets (LOUD)Cerwin vega exl4001 run knu Fleks OFC 0 gaugeBig 3 done1 Odyssey 1500, 1 optima yellow top d31

They are the GRS 6PR-8 6.5" Polycone/rubber surround speakers. I just don't know how I should put them in the door. I want to use the original placement but there is nothing to anchor to unless i fiberglass something or make it out of mdf... Basically right now they're just free-air speakers so the sound is very "shallow".

Current System:

Clarion CZ702

GRS 6.5"

Audiopipe 1800.1