Putting Jl 3-way Comp In My Doors...to Look Factory ?

trainman0978

Alright, tomorrow is the day and here is what I have in mind, My FJ cruiser has a good sized door panel opening, kinda factory speaker grill that is about nine or ten inches across and I have the 6x9's in there now, behind this big round grill. I am thinking that instead of using the taco tunes door adapter for the 6.5" speakers that I also got for x-mas , that maybe I can make a MDF mount and get all three to fit some how. I know I will have to cut up my inner door skin a bit, and that is fine, and I am also aware that I have to build a small box on the mount to fit in the door cavity for the 4" speaker cause the manual says it cannot share air space with the woofer. I plan to just surface mount the tweeter on the MDF or flush mount it how ever it will fit the best, depending on what I need when I get to it, but I know it wont be a problem and it wont share air space with the woofer.

So basically I am planning to make a board with two or possibly three holes to hold the component set, with a small box for the midrange to fit in the door cavity. Lemme know what you think and any and all advice is gonna be very helpful.

No partying tonight cause My girl is having surgery on the 2nd, so no drinkin tonight.....

l_c93460be380e663ccb1e2656655239e1.jpg

Here you can see the door panel grill

l_03a051543d3a1bc829d403f6decedd81.jpg

this is the opening, and I am sure I will have to do some cutting with the cut off wheel

m_d165f7599e398bbfbae27916a1e5279e.jpg

this is what I got now, the white behing the speaker is the taco tunes 6x9 mount. I have the 6.5" mounts as well, but I hope to not use them

l_5bff13a78f6dd9bf0c728705c63be06f.jpg

and to give an idea of what I have to work with...

l_3cd57775c5d12f7a9d6a1d2632f554ee.jpg

l_44cb50fc140f1680447e299485419437.jpg

If I cant get them all to fit and the door panel to go on smooth I can use the mounts for the 6.5" speakers and put the 4" and the tweeter in factory locations up in the top of the dash. But the woofer and the 4" - and tweeter will be separated by a little over two feet and I think that will give a a bad sound image . What cha think?

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

bump

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

26 views and nothin' huh? gimme somethin.... " don't do it" or " go for it, should be fine" ....

My Kulicki Box Build

Dude, mids in the kick panels, glassed if possible, then the woofers in the 6x9s spot

perfect

mids in the kick panels is best for imaging on a realistic basis anyways, that or A pilars, doubt you wanna try that

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

had some stuff come up yesterday, had to put it off till today, but getting a late start. will try and get pics up tonite

My Kulicki Box Build

Alright, my desire to not chop up my door panels has kept the dream of all three components in the door from being a reality. The problem is this, since the mid and the woofer cant share air space, the mid would have to have the box I mentioned to enclose it. It requires a .08 ft3 box, which is around 7" x 7" x 7" or whatever it was on the calculator. I have room for about 4.25" x 4.25" x 4.75" and that is around .02 ft3. So, either I never roll down my windows, or the woofer goes in the door and the mid and tweet go into the dash. I was told by a local JL audio dealer that the distance of 23-25 " between the woofer and mid/tweeter would be O.K. although the manual says no more than 18" apart. We will find out tomorrow, cause after making a MDF mount and test fitting trial and error for nothing, then cleaning up the mess in front of the house I only had time to mount the crossover boxes and run wires. The wires are soldered up on the crossover end, so tomorrow I just gotta drop the speakers in after soldering up the other ends of the wires. and I am gonna move my ipod wire from the glove box to the pocket under the deck. So this thread ended up being a "remove and replace" thread instead of a custom install. :(

My Kulicki Box Build

Archived