Second Skin Audio

Maybe my subs just suck? (response curve issue)

it has 45's in the outer corners but not on the inner port wall(the port wall inside the sub chamber) the joint where the port wall turns if 45'ed and there is a 45ish on the back wall where the port T's.

If i put polyfill in where the heck would i put it?

Also, not that you guys will be able to gather much from this but I know that certain song's like Josh Turners "Eye Candy" with the sealed enclosure the drums and bass line had authority but now is just meh and weak, but say dubstep for instance plays much better and louder. I really don't want to build seven or eight boxes to get what i want. I will try the polyfill and also covering the port and see what happens. Just so you guys know these subs have never done well above 55 or 60hz sealed or ported and the same for 30 and below. I'll keep experimenting and report back. Thanks for the help.

My subs have the very same issue. I have 2 ken wood 12's 3013wps.. I'm betting it's the subs.. In 3 separate tuned boxes they had this issue, I plugged in 2 Rockford p3's in one of those boxes using the same amp and they played 30-32 perfectly

i think you'll be better off with the sa12 in that box, the skar will work just as well, but with the high tune i feel the sundown will outperform it.

but it will come down to power, and the box being built and sealed properly,

did you fit the 45"s in the port and radius or 45 the inner wall, as this is very important,

Can you explain why you think the sundowns would do better? I wouldn't mind buying the sundows but i can save alot of money buy going with skars. (not trying to go vs. here). Also, i don't mind that it is tuned to 35 instead of 32 because i listen to music, I mean i listen to country, rock, and sometimes dubstep.

If i wanted to tune lower would i extend or shorten the port? Or would the larger displacement of the sundowns or skars lower the tuning? Sorry, enclosure design is one of my weak points.

one more thing, I tried an experiment today, i put a crappy pioneer in my sealed enclosure that these used to be in.The box was built for these kenwoods. It's the exact right size for them and they sucked at higher freq. in it too. The pioneer plays super flat from 80 all the way down to about 30 or so. And i have heard from more than one person these kenwoods don't play highs well. I know that is kind of apples to oranges but with all the info so far it's looking like these subs are just not worth the effort. Plus the kenwoods so squishy on most drum beats for some reason, not sure why either. I really frustrates me because a long time ago kenwood made decent stuff, i am really disappointed now. Thanks for the help so far.

edit.

Look at the curve according to the owners manual. This is exactly what i get, and this is what the manufacturer recommends. lulz

curve.jpg

Edited by strangeduck

the sa and skar should be the same price give or take $10,

and the sundown imo just seem to have be sq and are able to run a higher tune and not be as peaky

the skars love the lows and if your after a ground pounder then they the way to go

some one done a right up 2-3weeks ago on both the the same box and they had some good notes, look at that it may help you decide a bit easier,