Interesting issue

i know what you talking about cuz my car does the same thing!. i have a 2004 cavalier. stock electrical. sub amp is the audiopipe mini 1500. in town driving at 30 mph, at full tilt, i drop down into the upper 11 volt range and it literally slows me down. i think the alt comes stock 105a.

2004 cavalier 2 door 5 speedalpine cda-103skar pax 6.5s

power acoustik D1-6000power acoustic 4-2600soundquest 1/0 throughoutDC XL M2 18 walledstock altbig 3 donestock battery under hood, 1400cca 400ah semi battery in the trunk

When i had a 4 cylinder engine I would notice that kind of thing when i turned on the ac, the car would slow down like i downshifted. I think its the same type of thing happening to you because the ac is only ran by a belt, so if your alternator is working extra hard it may be like turning the ac on.

its a chrysler, take it back, problem solved ;)

Nobody better be talkin' shit on chrysler! Pioneered the damn hemi is what's up son!

OP, I doubt your truck actually slows down. The VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is part of the transmission, which is usually where the chassis to engine ground is located. It MIGHT be slowing down due to a loss on voltage and a subsequent misfire. More than likely it's just too much for the alternator to take. Your instrument cluster is ENTIRELY reliant on voltage variations to function. IE the speedo needle moves depending on the voltage produced at the VSS due some internal mechanism that spins and functions as a mini generator (just one way they work). If your battery and alt can't supply the necessary current, it's gonna draw voltage from somewhere else, in this case lowering the voltage you're seeing from the VSS.

That being said, it's hard to believe it really draws the current away form the VSS. This is issue is just plain weird. Good luck.

2015 Subaru Outback. That is all, I refuse to touch it.

its a chrysler, take it back, problem solved ;)

Nobody better be talkin' shit on chrysler! Pioneered the damn hemi is what's up son!

OP, I doubt your truck actually slows down. The VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is part of the transmission, which is usually where the chassis to engine ground is located. It MIGHT be slowing down due to a loss on voltage and a subsequent misfire. More than likely it's just too much for the alternator to take. Your instrument cluster is ENTIRELY reliant on voltage variations to function. IE the speedo needle moves depending on the voltage produced at the VSS due some internal mechanism that spins and functions as a mini generator (just one way they work). If your battery and alt can't supply the necessary current, it's gonna draw voltage from somewhere else, in this case lowering the voltage you're seeing from the VSS.

That being said, it's hard to believe it really draws the current away form the VSS. This is issue is just plain weird. Good luck.

most down right intelligent comment i think ive ever seen on this forum. the 440 6 pack was more boss.

chevrolet all day er day.

'81 camaro z28 performance

'03 silverado ext cab show and go

Archived