Second Skin Audio

Best enclosure design for 3 Sundown 12s

Okay, so I'm just starting to get into designing boxes and I would love some advice from people who actually know what they're doing. I plan on buying three Sundown SA-12s and I need help designing the box to fit into my trunk.

Trunk Dimensions are

20in High

40in Wide

35in Deep

Any help is welcomed.

1999 Honda Civic- RIP

2003 Acura RSX Type-S

Here is a suggestion, probably will need to build inside the trunk:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 32 Hz

Vb = 6 ft^3

External Height = 20 in

External Width = 39 in

External Depth = 22 in

Port Width = 4 3/4 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Front & Back (3 parts) = 39 x 20

Left & Right Sides = 19 3/4 x 18 1/2

Top & Bottom = 39 x 19 3/4

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 15 x 18 1/2

Extension = 6 x 18 1/2

3SA12.jpg

Very tight fit, Let me know any questions.

Edited by Joe X

Box looks good! If I may recommend an amp, if you wanna stay at RMS and not spend an arm and a leg, a Crescendo bc2k. If you want a bit more power, and stay Sundown, a Sundown 2500 should power those well! I think he's opening the preorder for the v.2's soon.

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

^^ That design looks amazing. My only problem is the size. I would like to be able to remove it. As for the amps, I'll probably end up running 3 Mean Machine M1600.2s slaved to a MAXX-Link. Or a Bass inferno BI2000DX

1999 Honda Civic- RIP

2003 Acura RSX Type-S

^^ That design looks amazing. My only problem is the size. I would like to be able to remove it. As for the amps, I'll probably end up running 3 Mean Machine M1600.2s slaved to a MAXX-Link. Or a Bass inferno BI2000DX

I would recommend building inside the trunk, It can be done less deep, not much if that can help.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I realized I forgot to take the trunk hinges into account. =/ New Dimensions are

20in High

38in Wide

35in Deep

1999 Honda Civic- RIP

2003 Acura RSX Type-S

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I realized I forgot to take the trunk hinges into account. =/ New Dimensions are

20in High

38in Wide

35in Deep

Just place the box towards the rear, you have 35D and the box is only 21D, problem is that 40W is really tight, don't think it can be reduced.

20in High

38in Wide

35in Deep

Just place the box towards the rear, you have 35D and the box is only 21D, problem is that 40W is really tight, don't think it can be reduced.

Placing it to the rear doesn't help. I measured out the clearance from the trunk lid to the hinges and it's only 15 inches. Would it be possible to move the subs closer together and reduce the overall width to 39 inches? I think with that the hinges will grind against the box but it will fit.

1999 Honda Civic- RIP

2003 Acura RSX Type-S