Need help with power

Ok so i have a jl 1000/1 amp running off stock 80 amp alt and 2 yellow tops pushing a 1200 rms 15. Im looking at 2 12's that are 2500 a piece. I was thinking i could find 2 used t2500 and wire them up but my question is...... How big of alt do i need and should i ditch yellow tops and get xs and how many? i say steve is doing 7,000 in the lexus with 180 stock alt and 4 xs.

Assuming 5000 continuous watts pulled from the amps and a stable voltage of ~14v (charging voltage of 12v batts) you would need a 350 amp reserve. als each battery puts a significant draw on your alternator jus tto keep it charged minus what is already being used by the factory electrical. TBH the larger the alternator the the better but but your saving grace will be a good solid auxilary batteries that can source the desired immediate current. the alternators primary use should be to keep the up.

He can do his system that way because he has that nice battery bank in the back iirc which relieves the alternator from much of the strain.

the stronger your alternator the quicker your batteries will recharge, iirc each battery puts ~4 amps load on your alternator so while you can use your stock alt as many do it will just take longer to charge and a trip of heavy beating and not letting the car run w/o bass to recharge you might see some decreased performance (batts sitting lower).

a 12v battery charges at 14.4v with base load. so when your car is on your amplifiers will see 14.4v minus any voltage drop when your amplifiers pull current through the wiring.

I would make getting a couple batteries (especially if you can get them cheap) priority and upgrade the apternator whe nyou are able to. yellow tops appear to have a 110 amp reserve ( if my math is correct so take this as a grain of salt).

Also realize that that 350 amps is you peak draw, with music you will generally be pulling ~175 amps average so you wont need to build for the full usage of the amps unless you plan to play low sin waves which will draw massive power =p

Hell yeah. I appreciate the help man. So i looked into a mechman alt and i can get a 250 amp for $450. Other than my 2 yellows now how many more do you think? Money isnt a issue since when i decide what i want i save for it or buy a little at a time. Still havent done the big 3. Think i should do that this weekend and then batts , then alt?

if you were to get that alternator. I would probably get atleast another 1 maybe 2 yellows

optimas are crap from what i've read (everywhere) ever since they switched to the buildhouse in mexico. they can go bad randomly.

Its hit or miss, just like everything. Maybe you get the one defective one in the batch and maybe you dont. There are def stiffer batteries out there but optimas are normally cheap and the ppl i know with them havent had any problems.

Like I mentioned above, unless you are ground pounding all day everyday having 300-400 amps in reserve should be good (3-4 batts). naturally the more reserve the better and thats where space and budget come into play. Not only for the batteries, but for 2 fuses per connection between two batteries for saftey and the wiring and lugs (unless your spare batts are directly next to eachother the nyou only need 2 fuses between your primary battery and your auxilary bank since the runs between your bank will be minimal).

Archived