Building a (Quite Baller) Game Box for around 1-grand

So my 6-yr old HP finally went out, or should i say that SeaGate Barracuda 750GB finally went out. I did a Norton 360 update and boom, BIOS-3 error on my boot up! So of course after a million tries to get it going I decided to upgrade, majorly. I figured I would just go big and build something that would last me for a long time. I spent $1100 on the HP 6 years ago, for a dual-core intel, 750gb HDD, 8GB RAM, Nvidia8800GT (which died and I replaced with an ATI 5670), and nothing else. what a rip.
So I got online and started deal hunting:
-Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz (4.3 OC) ($350) (Comes with $30 Mail-in rebate)
-ASUS Maximus-V GENE Mobo ($210) ($20 mail-in rebate)
-AMD (XFX) Radeon HD 6950 2GB (Got it at a steal of **$199**)
-Phantek PH-TC14PE ($90) (comes with $10 mail-in rebate) and it came with Artic Silverlight Thermal Paste (SUPREME PAIN TO INSTALL)
-Thermaltake TR2 RX 750Watt 80+Bronze PSU (another steal at $60)
-Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid-Tower ATX Case ($40)
-Corsair VengeanceLP 16GB RAM DDR3 ($90)
-Hitachi Deskstar 2TB HDD ($110)(Definitely the most iffy part of the whole PC, known as the "DeathStar", but most HDDs I saw are iffy that are this big
-3 of the Coolmax 120MM UV coolingfans that I got for free
-Free Copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, if you buy a full version of windows 7, be ready to drop another $200, I know some people and got lucky.
-Im using the same Monitor/TV and wireless mouse and keyboard.
So I saved a grip of money online, and in 8-10 weeks ill have $60 MORE dollars back in hand!
***Just as a quick note, if you want to run dual GPU's, this MOBO isnt the best, the slots are meant for smaller cards, not 2 big 560s or 5970s. If you run dual cards it would need to probably be as small as a GTX 400 series of a low ATI 5k series. Its because its a Micro-ATX board, it'll fit 1 BIG card***
Its a badass no doubt. AND I CANT STRESS ENOUGH HOW SICK THE ASUS MOBO IS. It has an Z77 intel chipset, fast, and it is literally the most user friendly board for every gamer across the earth. I LOVE the OC 1-click solution, optimizes it for me. The boot/reset on-board buttons are great and It ha everything you need in the BIOS that you can customize with ease. It also has this really useful MPCIE combo chip that allows you to install a laptop Wi-Fi card and a 80GB SSD into one and plug straight into the Mobo to hold your OS for quick boot, completely new and totally badass. Could NOT be happier with it, easily the best deal of the whole PC. Overall the PC rages on everything I run at all times and never lags/freezes, I ran Crysis(1) on Ultra High, w/ 8x AA, while running uTorrent and Xfire in back, for over 8 hours (beat the campaign and then multiplayer for like 4 hours) and it didnt lag, freeze, or stop at all. And the cores never even got hot, stayed between 50C-60C the entire time, so the phantek is great too, HUMONGOUS, but great. I know the new thing is SSD but theres no way Im shelling out like $1500 for a 1TB SSD and I didnt want to run dual drives so I got a 2TB HDD which I "unlimited" if you will to give the full access possible, theres a program that comes installed on the Mobo which lifts any size restriction on drives that would normally limit size, so everything I need is as fast as a SSD, boot only takes about 15-20 seconds, and unlike an SSD where the really long-reads would take a while this does everything almost instantaneously. Just hope it doesnt crash and fail, its really a %50/%50 chance of getting a good or bad drive. The new i7 is also very nice, and very fast, I have yet to be able to get it to go over 15% usage, very nice. The Thermaltake is also great, it keep the power going and has alot of it, and tons of connectors for all the fans and if I want to run Dual GPUs. I dont have any complaints with anything so far, everything works great (knock on wood) so far.
372.jpg
373.jpg
374.jpg
375.jpg
376.jpg
377.jpg
378.jpg
379.jpg
380.jpg
LOL The fan Intel sent me--- My Phantek Fans
381.jpg
382.jpg
It looks kind of weird here, but the blue looks really good in the dark.
383.jpg

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

I see about $200 in that budget that could have been re-invested toward a much more baller GPU without sacrificing a single ounce of performance in games. :morepower1:

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

383.jpg

lord of the rings battle for middle earth 2 for the win

The Midget Looks Into Your Soul

2008 Dodge am 3500HD with the 6.7 Cummins

Race Me tuner, dpf deleted

kenwood double din

cheap walmart speakers for now(infinity reference comps comps coming soon)

2 kicker L5's in a ported box of unknown tuning lol(soon to be changed)

Power acoustic 1500.1 on the subs (for now)

builds pc in 2012, to play.....

Crysis 1

My current 95 Jetta Build w/

pioneer h/u

2 RD Sonance 10's with flatwind coils

2 Audiopipe apsm 1500.1s

1 Hifonics Brutus Elite 60x4

1 XS d925

1 Stinger spv35

1 1000 amp lead acid

50 ft of 0/1 ofc from Audiotechnix

all powerbass components, and coaxils, 4 sets

buildlog = http://www.stevemead...2-rd-10s-build/

My build for my wife. http://www.stevemead...01-f-150-build/

I see about $200 in that budget that could have been re-invested toward a much more baller GPU without sacrificing a single ounce of performance in games. :morepower1:

All 3 of my past Nvidias have borken, while all 3 of my replacement ATI/AMDs have worked until I rebuilt.

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

383.jpg

lord of the rings battle for middle earth 2 for the win

Wanted to bomb the EA consulate after they closed the servers, definitely my favorite strategy game of all time

I missed Alan.

surprised u didn't short anything out building it on carpet..

Built on the plastic that the case came in, so it didnt touch the floor once any of the components were in, I dont have any grounding mats, and im moving so everythings packed including both my grounding wires

I missed Alan.

Crysis 1

Crysis 2 can eat a dick. Ive never been more disappointed with a game in my life, EA accidentally put all the Crysis covers on BF3's discs and BF3 covers on Crysis discs.......

People still play Crysis 1 and you still need a more sophisticated machine to run Crysis 1 at a higher rate than both Warhead and Crysis2

I missed Alan.

Crysis 1

Crysis 2 can eat a dick. Ive never been more disappointed with a game in my life, EA accidentally put all the Crysis covers on BF3's discs and BF3 covers on Crysis discs.......

People still play Crysis 1 and you still need a more sophisticated machine to run Crysis 1 at a higher rate than both Warhead and Crysis2

I don't understand what you mean by swapping covers.

And Crysis 2 w/DX11 and HD textures is generally more demanding that Crysis 1. Crysis 1 just had shitty code and used the CPU too heavily.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Archived