Building a (Quite Baller) Game Box for around 1-grand

reference cards for light gaming.. you sacrifice performance for noise reduction.

third party vendor cards for normal and heavy gaming.. you sacrifice noise reduction for performance.

reference cards produce much more heat than a customized cooling solution card such as ones from msi, gigabyte, zotac, or even the superclocked cards from EVGA.

Those two statements are where I'm getting lost. I've just shown that a well-designed custom card (ASUS's GTX 670 TOP as well as a few others) can post way better performance AND run cooler and quieter. With the exception of Zotac's 20% out-of-the-box overclock all the cards run just as quiet or quieter as the stock card and throw up way better performance. I just don't see where you're "sacrificing" anything by buying a custom card. Custom fans are almost always quieter than a reference design.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

reference cards for light gaming.. you sacrifice performance for noise reduction.

third party vendor cards for normal and heavy gaming.. you sacrifice noise reduction for performance.

reference cards produce much more heat than a customized cooling solution card such as ones from msi, gigabyte, zotac, or even the superclocked cards from EVGA.

Those two statements are where I'm getting lost. I've just shown that a well-designed custom card (ASUS's GTX 670 TOP as well as a few others) can post way better performance AND run cooler and quieter. With the exception of Zotac's 20% out-of-the-box overclock all the cards run just as quiet or quieter as the stock card and throw up way better performance. I just don't see where you're "sacrificing" anything by buying a custom card. Custom fans are almost always quieter than a reference design.

your confusing yourself.

reference design cards are these cards..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604

that is a shitty reference card.

this is a custom cooled card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127578

i honestly have no fucking clue what your going on about. i seriously dont. i came in here saying reference cards (WHICH ARE STOCK COOLED CARDS) are shit, and that a custom cooled solution is needed.

you came in here, plucking some sentence i said and going on about reviews of custom cooled cards and how they're better.. im quite lost? i never said anything bad about custom cooled third party cards? i said reference cards are shit (WHICH ARE STOCK COOLED CARDS!!!!)

there is a severe paramount of miscommunication going on here.

custom cooled fans are VERY loud, i own a 470 zotac amp edition, and at 100% fan, that mother fucker screams.

my 560ti 448 cores twin frozr III edition at 100% fuckin is like a jet taking off.

im not complaining about any of this because i dont care.. but i dont see why your attacking me?

i mean you usually go after me because you dont understand and you try and put it in your own words and it usually takes 2-3 pages before you understand in your own terms.

but we're saying the same thing.

im saying reference cards are garbage and run hot

im saying custom cooled cards are quiet and are able to run higher clocks (for obvious reasons, i hope i dont have to go into detail?)

im saying custom cooled cards are much louder at 100% than reference cards at 100%.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

I guess we both got lost with what the other was saying. Damn you internet. The part about reference cards only being good for light gaming threw me off, as I'm running a pair of OC'd reference cards and they never go above 70C @ 70% fan speed. I also didn't get why 100% fan on custom cards has anything to do with it, as the fan should never need to go that high on a custom card.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

i only run 100% when i'm overclocked 2-300mhz on the core.

that 470 has one hell of a binned gpu and runs high 70s low 80s if i bench it.

gaming with it on WoW or BF3 stays mid 70s with that high overclock.. but theres never a need to go that high unless im just showin it off.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

i only run 100% when i'm overclocked 2-300mhz on the core.

that 470 has one hell of a binned gpu and runs high 70s low 80s if i bench it.

gaming with it on WoW or BF3 stays mid 70s with that high overclock.. but theres never a need to go that high unless im just showin it off.

What are you using for the fan control? I had been using Sapphire's Trixx until I ran across Afterburner.

wtf is lolcats?

Afterburner of course lol.

Been using it since they added support for the 470

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

If your 470 is getting that hot, you have a really crappy cooler on it.

Yes sir!

Cause it's not a 4 series nvidia, and it's not overclocked 2-300mhz on the core.

But I forgot your the God of computers.

Why dig up a week old thread just to start shit?

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

because I've been busy for the past week.

Apologies if I dont check the forum every 15-30 minutes.

I will try to go by your schedule from now on.

If its getting that hot, replacing the thermal compound (including the IC chips) on the stock cooler will bring it down 20-25 degrees.

all of the questions already have been answered.. and the first person you go after is me, not even the OPs question.

thermal compound has already been replaced, but you're not understanding the 2-300mhz core overclock part.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

Archived