Sundown Audio

Smelly coils after setting with dd1, Maybe an amp issue?

Jessica

I set gains with the dd-1. like this

H/U Track 1 and 2 - Full volume no clipping had signal and tone lights.

Fosgate Symmetry Set Line driver with track 1 and 2 - No clipping had signal and tone lights

I have a Pac-lc1 which was all the way up during all dd-1 tests, it goes to my sub amp. (the pac-lc1 is not a boost knob, just a in-line volume knob)

My sub setting on H/U (-6 to +6) was at +6

Sub Amp (9105d) was set using track 3.(no boost and LPF @ 80)

All e.q.'s including the one on the symmetry are either flat or off. No bass boost, no "mb-ex" no enhancements at all.

Please note the symmetry only goes to the mids, not the subs.

After all gains were set I played track 3 at full tilt. Maybe 10 seconds with car running and had smelly coils. Voltage drop was 13.5 maybe 13.2 from 14.0

The subs were Kenwoods w3013ps X 2 wired to 2ohm's

Signal all the way up to amp is safe even at 0db full tilt Amp is safe at -5db which i tested with and still had smelly coils. Please explain.

The box for the kenwoods is 2.0cuft at 35hz per side. Just what they want to be in.

Ignore anything about sa-12's for the moment.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

this was the original post. It was causing confusion so i re-wrote it to help.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

So right before i got the sa-12's i re tuned my amp with the dd-1. I did have it set before with the pac-lc1 at half and used the -10db tone.

When i reset it i tuned with the -5db(40hz) track and the pac-lc1 at max. The h/u goes full tilt with no distortion (even with 0db tone) so that's where it was during testing

So, Kenwwod 9105d amp wired @ 2ohm to two kenwood 3013ps 12"'s in a 4cuft box tuned to 35hz

After i got everything hooked back up i played the -5db track and played at full volume and the pac at max with the car running. Played for about 10 seconds and when i turned the volume down i smelt coils. Now, my mids are band passed above 80, and the RF ep2x eq has everything below 80 at -12, so i know they were not what was stinky.

(edit: the ep2x only goes to mids and highs, not subs)

Now i have the sa-12's in the same box, 2cuft each and tuned to 35hz ish.

I am wired to 1ohm now with the 2 d4's. The only real testing i have done so far is when i set with the -5db tone I also turned down the pac-lc1 till i got a clean signal with the 0db tone and noted where that was. So when i drive home i only turn it up that far and have played dubstep and havent had any issues.

So now i am a bit gun-shy about going full tilt again even with music, I don't want smell SA-12 coils and i don't know if maybe the amp has an issue under load or if it was just the kenwood subs. What do you guys think? Should I not sweat it? <-- Here is the question....

Edited by strangeduck

very weird I tuned mine with 0db track on my skar amp but it gets a clean 1600 watts so 800 each and there's no stink.

but there's something stinky here...

If I had to guess the box isnt right or the subs are just breaking it.

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

Why are you playing a tone for 10 seconds? I would re-check again just to be safe, then just play some music on it and see what happens.

2006 GMC Yukon
Pioneer HU

SHCA ran throughout

Crescendo BC3500

One 18 AA Mayhem in a 4th order

ZED Levithian 6 channel

Rainbow Dual 6.5 comps ran Active
matt142-1-1.jpg
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155628-matt14s-yukon-mayhem-in-a-4th-ordernew-amps-and-bats/page-3

Why are you playing a tone for 10 seconds? I would re-check again just to be safe, then just play some music on it and see what happens.

Well, i can't re-check with the kenwoods cause they are layin in my garage. But i should be able to play a tone if i have clean signal right? Should be able to play all day as long as i am staying under rms? I am pretty sure i was seeing a 4ohm load at 40hz with box rise.

I'm going to guess your LOC is to blame, but I can't really tell how you are setting the levels on it. Are you setting the H/U, then LOC, then amp? If not, what are you doing?

Edited by MrSkippyJ

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Well, i can't re-check with the kenwoods cause they are layin in my garage. But i should be able to play a tone if i have clean signal right? Should be able to play all day as long as i am staying under rms? I am pretty sure i was seeing a 4ohm load at 40hz with box rise.

what tone are you playing? if you're playing a 0db tone with an amp set with a -5db track, you're instantly clipping at full volume.

edit: does your voltage drop when the subs are hooked up playing music?

Edited by Kranny

Ok, ok, lol I always forget info dangit.

H/U set with 0db tone, max volume sub level at +6, e.q. off, mb-ex off, loudness off. no clipping. Got a signal and tone light with both track 1 and 2.

The sub amp is not running off the Fosgate symmetry but i did set it with the 0db tone track 1. (the line driver setting) e.q. at flat

Then i set the sub amp with track 3 and my "bass knob" at max.

Hooked everything up played track 5 (amp was set with that track, so clean signal) 10 seconds, maybe less, smelly coils. Box is tuned to 35 so i wasn't unloading.

edit: pac-lc1 (bass knob) was at max entire time.

edit edit: for those who don't know, the pac-lc1 is just a potentiometer, a variable resistor if you will, only cuts voltage, no boost. just a passive volume knob.

Edited by strangeduck

the only thing i can think of is maybe, just maybe i am not seeing that much rise and maybe the amp is doing more than rated. So if the subs are 400rms and the amps is doing say 1k, then that extra 100 maybe be too much for them. Some one told me once that the kenwood's don't like running at rms. I am going to double check everything and hopefully if i don't forget when i get back to work i will borrow the clamp meter and see what i am getting to the SA-12's I'll get someone to help and just do a few burps and keep bringing the volume up till i hit max and just keep a close eye and nose on everything.