Sundown Audio

Smelly coils after setting with dd1, Maybe an amp issue?

Jessica

C'mon read man, lol the kenwoods were smelly, not the sa's i'm trying to find out why 400rms subs were getting smell on a 900rms amp after rise with a clean signal.

Now i have the sa-12's in the same box, 2cuft each and tuned to 35hz ish.

I am wired to 1ohm now with the 2 d4's.

So now i am a bit gun-shy about going full tilt again even with music, I don't want smell SA-12 coils and i don't know if maybe the amp has an issue under load or if it was just the kenwood subs. What do you guys think?

This reads that you don't want to smell the SA coils. I never saw you had the kenwoods in.

Btw I did read but ur wording is confusing for me

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

So right before i got the sa-12's i re tuned my amp with the dd-1. I did have it set before with the pac-lc1 at half and used the -10db tone.

When i reset it i tuned with the -5db(40hz) track and the pac-lc1 at max. The h/u goes full tilt with no distortion (even with 0db tone) so that's where it was during testing

So, Kenwwod 9105d amp wired @ 2ohm to two kenwood 3013ps 12"'s in a 4cuft box tuned to 35hz

After i got everything hooked back up i played the -5db track and played at full volume and the pac at max with the car running. Played for about 10 seconds and when i turned the volume down i smelt coils. Now, my mids are band passed above 80, and the RF ep2x eq has everything below 80 at -12, so i know they were not what was stinky.

(edit: the ep2x only goes to mids and highs, not subs)

I thought i made it pretty clear. Do you have any idea what's going on though?

Cliff's notes: OP has 400 watt Kenwood subs on 450 watts each. They stink after dd-1 -5db

Cliff's notes: OP has 400 watt Kenwood subs on 450 watts each. They stink after dd-1 -5db

seems to me that there's gotta be distortion or clipping either in power dropping and using a cheap volt meter or possibly the subs are shit?

I've never had the DD-1 mess up like that but I know they have had defects before thats another thing, how far is your gain/bass boost turned up?

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

seems to me that there's gotta be distortion or clipping either in power dropping and using a cheap volt meter or possibly the subs are shit?

I've never had the DD-1 mess up like that but I know they have had defects before thats another thing, how far is your gain/bass boost turned up?

No boost, i redid the o.p. to make it all more clear. Also the dd-1 is fine, i trust it.And to snowdrifter. The amp is set with -5db and i played the -5db track. How is that an issue? Maybe if i played 0db and set with -5. But i did not do that.

Edited by strangeduck

must be what the kenwoods can handle then lol. Past 400 rms they stink havent heard of it but I only ran kenwoods in high school of a best buy 1000 watt amp.

IDK, Lke i said, i will clamp and burp and see what happens. I just don't want to cook the sa's on the off chance my amp has cheap internals. I'm going to stay with my 0db setting for the time being.