Sonic Electronix

not sure what is overheating... your alt or your battery? whichever the case may be, not enough amperage capacity to fulfill the current demand will typically down your voltage.

btw, how do you know "it" is overheating?

My Build Log- T E A M S U N D O W N A U D I O -

2013 DbDrag WF SS1-2 - 5th Place 154.6db

2013 MECA Mod3 CA State Final Champ 153.4db

Powered by: Sundown Audio

alt is over heating, batt is fine. and I got the alt checked out. when i drive it will be at 14 volts and then drops to around 12.6 after driving for about 20 mins. thats why it hink its over heating, besides the fact that its getting hotter than it should. I pulled the fuse on my system, not getting a voltage drop (i know its my system pulling to much. Do you think if i run the small kinetik batt like a cap, itl help? I know its over heating and it hink its kuz the alt is having to charge the yellow top so fast sense im not running a 2nd batt. Thats why im wondering if the small kinetik (the one thats like 100 1 farad caps, will help so that it wont have to charge as hard. what do you think?

well if you KNOW your system is overdrawing i would get a second battery anyways.

my friend had a Memphis Mojo 4k amp and although he had 2 batteries, it still wasn't enough. he was killing his truck.

how much power is your system?

my only thing is if im adding another batt, should i worry about over working my alt, i mean it already is, and its like if i add a batt idk if it would help so it wont have to draw as much streight from the alt, but on the other hand will it be better for the alt to 2 charge 2 batts instead of trying to keep up with just one? and im running 2 mrp-m500 alpines on 2 15" k comps

my only thing is if im adding another batt, should i worry about over working my alt, i mean it already is, and its like if i add a batt idk if it would help so it wont have to draw as much streight from the alt, but on the other hand will it be better for the alt to 2 charge 2 batts instead of trying to keep up with just one? and im running 2 mrp-m500 alpines on 2 15" k comps

interesting, i have an Alpine MRP-M1000 and it's given me some problems too haha. did a demo about 15 mins long and it zapped my battery(getting a new one anyways: Kinetik Hc1800).

well you see the thing is, the only thing that would put more stress on your alternator is adding a more powerful system to your existing electrical system. when you begin to add more batteries, voltage begins to flow through them. almost like them charging themselves. so adding a second battery(that is hooked up to your wet cell) wouldn't be stressing your alternator. if anything taking a load of stress off of it.

so simply put, get a second battery. it wont stress your alternator anymore, but actually relieve it of stress and it will more than likely cure your voltage drops.

awesome thanks, and should i run in parallel, with a relay, isolator or what.

well i actually learned this yesterday haha.

no need for an isolator unless you're going to be playing with the car off(haha and who actually does that?)

relay? theres nothing needed to be used like a switch.

SOLUTION: run preferably 0awg wire from the battery 1(under the hood) negative to battery 2(in the trunk) negative.

than run another 0awg wire from the battery 1 positive to the battery 2 positive. BUTTTT!!

make sure you have 2 fuses in this line. one by the first battery and one by the 2nd battery

so something like this

[Optima Yellow top]--[300amp fuse]--------------------------------------------[300amp fuse]---[Kinetik hc600]

yes i have done the big 3. I have a durelast gold batt laying around (dont ask me why) but i do, would it be okay to run that with the yellow top

It would be fine to run that battery yes. If its a lead acid batt, do NOT put it in the interior or you car, or trunk. Fumes are DEADLY, and leaking acid is no bueno either.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.