Second Skin Audio

opinions before box build

this one should be rather simple. it's just going to be a single sundown sa-12 in a ported box. it's going in a small extended cab truck. it should be going on the passengers side in hope that i can get it to seem louder(or is that wrong?). i know the double baffle looks awful there. it was made after i made the port and i didnt want to do it all over again. the real thing will just have two pieces glued together. one question i have though. how am i going to extend the port length? it has to be 6.5" long and i can only find 6" long ones.

dimensions should be 20.4LX14WX15.5H using 3/4 mdf. the port is going to be a 3" diameter 6.5" long aero port, so that should make it tuned to 35hz according to torres calculator.

what are your thoughts?

here's the model i drew up:

boxwg.jpg

Your port area is very low, an aero port with proper port area would need to be 4 7/8" (from those I found on parts express) but would need to be very long. Also the double baffle is not necessary in your case

So here is a slot port suggestion, I had to make it a little bigger:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 35 Hz

Vb = 2 ft^3

External Height = 15.5 in

External Width = 24 in

External Depth = 15.5 in

Port Width = 2 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

Front & Back = 24 x 15 1/2

Left & Right Sides = 14 x 14

Top & Bottom = 24 x 14

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 12 x 14

Extension = 9 1/2 x 14

Assembly guide (generic dimensions):

Capture-3.jpg

i'm not quite sure if i understand this. how did you figure out the port length? i put in torres calculator for the port: width 2, height 14 and length 21.5(i just added the two lengths(of the port cutouts) you gave me and it says its tuned to 40hz. then i tried another thing. taking 15.5-.75(minus the back wall)+9.5(extention)+2.75(port width plus width of board) and i got 27. that made the port tuned to 38 hz. call me stupid, but what's the problem here? is it my awful math or complete lack of knowledge on the subject? lol

You measure the port along the centerline end to end, also is a 3 common wall port so you should set that.

ok, cool. that cleared everything up. thanks for the design. the extra .25 cubes should be absolutely no problem. i had a 2 cube box with two 8's before i got this. fit kind of tight, but that's because i havent taken out the 'cup holder' in the back(if you'd even call it that... its way to shallow to act as a cup holder).