Sonic Electronix

So i live in wyoming and have been thinking about opening up a car audio shop but would like some input. I mean it wouldn't make me rich but think it could make a living. I used to work at the only shop in this town (other than bestbuy) and we only sold JL, Alpine, and Memphis, some JVC and Kenwood as well as DEI products anyways this shops been around for 15 years and has never changed their line of product so this town has seen the same shit.

And i mean this place has no deals ever, almost no advertisement, no website, and the owner is a 70yr old stubborn and rude old man who can never do a favor, he's all about his money, and isn't negotiable at all and I always had people asking me to do stuff on the side because no one likes dealing with this guy and i'm sure the only reason they do sometimes is because he's the only shop in town. and around nearby towns.

My plan is to of course start out small but carry a little bit of a wider variety such as a low end line of products and a higher end to start of with. The low end is something they don't have so many people go to pawn shops, Walmart, or just go online. Many people just want bass now on a budget no one seems to care what's named brand or not so the being said i would carry something like Prestige alarms, and DEI alarms.

So with all this being said do you guys think car audio shops are just dying cause of online superstores or is it just this old man's shop that's falling apart? I mean i moved to Houston for a while and god damn that shit was busier than a damn Walmart! I just dont know if its the cliental thats down there or if its variety and how cheap stuff is down there?

go to local car shows and ask the people around there. if they want it give it.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

I have to laugh at the "same shit" comment, If I were to open a new shop, those would be the top brands to sell, as they sell themselves! Further they are quality. If you want to open a shop with a bunch of low end budget gear and try to make a living at it, you need to be a hustler, dedicating 90% of your time and 100% focus towards it. until you get established and self sustained at a comfortable level financially, don't ever get online at work onto any forum. you will lose focus!

Your not the first person with this idea, I will say 99% of the people fail at it. Take a few business classes, find someone to financially back it, and remember everything you or your shop does reflects on you and the shop. Good Luck!

SMD SuperSeller VerifiedJbondoXJames Shields

Also look at the population, what type of vehicles are being driven around down, to help find your audience. If you are only catering to a market of 50k people, and half of that is elderly or juvenile, you really limited your ability to make money, also if the cars are POS's, give up before you get started.

as someone posted the labor is where the money is at, it pays for a lot of shop expenses including payroll.

get a few business classes first, it is a must and an eye opener. You would need to work on a business plan also.

Edited by Collection Autosports

I wasn't trying to say "same shit" as in its garbage it's just that's all they sell no lower end stuff. Like if you buy a sub/box and amp maybe get some door speakers in the deal they just have nothing like that and just don't seem to care about customers at all. I mean if i could start out carrying Alpine and JL, that would be great but i'm pretty sure they want you to be well established so i would be thinking something like RE and Audioque or Sundown.

For vehicle population there's lots of trucks cause this is hillbilly central lots of decent cars nothing like Beamer's, Benz's or Jag's i mean there are some here just not many assuming we have none of those dealers here. but i see where you're coming from on the hustling cause in Houston it was just so different than here that's all it was and days there were just so hectic as was the flea market i worked at. But shit as for being on forums as you can see i have no more than 50 posts and don't get on here much so that shouldn't be a problem i'm just more worried about people going online and not locally.

I know a guy that built his empire on hustling flea markets, Daddy-O's car audio in Jacksonville Fl. The man would work 20 hours a day 7 days a week.

However with the cheap shit, comes many boomerangs, be prepared for a lot of shipping back and forth. With cheap shit, the only person making money is UPS

Further, with cheap shit comes low profit margins to stay competitive with other people and online sales. so for every JL speaker the competition sells, you will need to sell 2-4 cheap-o's to equal his profits.

Definitely take business class, maybe something else will come to mind seeing that car audio isn't a get rich quick business. :)

if it were me op.Im also bout to start looking into creating/starting my own business, my town only see's memphis, arc audio dei pioneer, etc. you know the basics that everybody knows about, but i have took 5 out of 7 business classes we have around here and i have learned alot but i tell you theres way more brands and way better for the money than memphis jl blah blah blah, you can make a profit on selling brands like sundown,crescendo,fi,etc but it will mostly come from installs as said before. You come up with a business plan and come up with an expense report, as in what you will need and what you have already bought if anything. Also like already stated check your surroundings out, in houston business is popping because its a big dope city, big rims, nice whips, hood rich if you will. Where im from we have a little bit of that so my company i feel will stay afloat, but if its covered in old people and junky ass cars then i doubt it will survive. just google it and check around, attend car shows also if you host a couple car shows after going to a couple of car shows. If you find out what the people want then thats all you have to do. Also if you are a hustler then you will deff have a better chance, by hustler i mean you can sell rubbers to a monk or ice to a penguin and bust your ass while doing it. i pride myself on it a little lol. but good luck with your biz

whats wrong with fat chicks? they are like mopeds, as long as your friends dont see you riding it, they are a blast! hahah

I am dumb as a stump. I live in the south and we are all dumb here.

By "hustling" I mean busting your arse! There is other expenses as insurance, licenses, taxes, rent/mortgage, loans, payroll, more taxes, etc... Sad that you would refer to Houston as a dope city, i am sure all the hard workers there would have a different opinion