Need help on midbass for sq/l setup

So im working on getting all the parts for a decent sq/l setup.

Thinking I should put some midbass in the rear doors.

Should I go with 6.5" or 8"?

Never really messed with midbass and this is my first opportunity to do a good system

having done alot of research on here and elsewhere.

Definitely want to get the whole freq range covered.

Maybe pro audio to get some volume?

Any thoughts?

Ive seen Selenium thrown around on here a few times.

Came across the 6W4P. Looks to be a meaty little thing.

Sub will be cut off around 80Hz and will probably set high pass on the front mid about 200-300Hz cause I really dont want them to bottom out.

An 8" will move more air and I could probably fiberglass them into the rear door so still looking.

Tell us about the speakers and amps you have now and we can find you a midbass for your application. If I'm reading this right you will have a gap in the freq. response. I would try to overlap the x-over points of the midbass and sub. For example my subs are crossed at 60 hz and my midbass play 60hz-1500. Your front mids shouldn't have any trouble playing low. Need more info homie.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

The selenium 6 is good till about 140hz Any lower and they lose attack. they will come apart under 70hz with some power so watch out.

IMO, it is easier to find a bass driver that plays higher then a midbass to play power. I use a DC 8 from 53hz to about 240. Fills the gap very nicely between the selenium 6's and the subs.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

8'' is way better for the mid bass ! Also, you would want your midbass closer to your mid range driver and not behing you. Forget the rears doors !

A good idea is to buy a good 3 way component set and install it in the front with good sound deadening, they are a bit expensive but saves you a whole lot of trouble. JMHO.

Forgot to mention, if you insist on having rears, then use a 6.5 and just remove the vocals with moderate power for just ambiance.

Edited by Sonic

I will be running a pair of Boston Acoustics Pro60 SE and another pair of their Neo typeM tweeters (same ones that come with the Pro60) powered by a db Drive A5 125.4.

Sub stage is currently a 15" MA Audio dual 4 ohm powered by a db Drive A7 1500.1.

Eventually gonna get a db Drive K9 15D2. Dual 2 ohm 15".

I do like lots of bass but I mainly listen to metal so all I want is to feel the double bass.

I usually don't like more than around 80Hz out of the sub. Too much midrange is annoying to me.

So I feel I should fill the gap from sub to midrange.

I don't want to push the midrange too low and bottom out or distort. Thinking like 200-300Hz highpass.

I am going to run active too.

I could probably squeeze an 8" into the front doors. 95 S10 Blazer btw. With a little fiberglass.

And the midbass is mainly for bass guitar and the lower toms etc. Don't want those to be too dim compared to the rest of the instruments.

Edited by beatinpearls

Well, in staying with Bostin Acoustics, they do offer an 8" woofer. Part number G108-4 8.

I have an extra Sony 760 watt 2 channel laying around I can put to them but wish they were 2 ohm as to get more power out of it.

Should be fine though.

What do yall think?

I really dont see many people running Boston on here but I have been using their home audio speakers for a long time and really like them.

So I guess im a little partial. Well see how it goes.

Well, seems they do have a dual 4 ohm version so can be wired to 2 ohm.

Edited by beatinpearls