Second Skin Audio

Box for American Bass XFL-15

I have a 2007 Avalanche and working with box dimension of 20.75 H x 51 W x 24.5 D all 1.5 MDF. Subs firing forward and port forward, Will take place of the mid gate. I will be using 2 American Bass XFL-15 and a Hifonics ZRX2000 Amp. I was also thinking that 35-36 Hz. would be a good range? I have been playing with Torres and not sure if the boxes I have been designing are worth a crap. I'm interested in a 2 common port if it will work. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ok here is a suggestion, 1 1/2" all around wood thickness would make net volume too low on your dims and would make the box too heavy so a double layer baffle is used instead and will be more than enough since the design is self bracing and these are only 1K subs:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 35 Hz

Vb = 8 ft^3

External Height = 20 in

External Width = 51 in

External Depth = 22 in

Port Width = 7 1/2 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Front & Back (3 parts) = 51 x 20

Left & Right Sides = 19 3/4 x 18 1/2

Top & Bottom = 51 x 19 3/4

Shared Port Internal Assembly Parts:

2 x Front to Back = 16 x 18 1/2

Assembly guide (generic dimensions):

SlotcenterPort.jpg

Any mods, comments or questions let me know.

Thanks Joe X, I was hoping you would chime in and give your word of advice. you design a very good and pleasing to the eye box, Which is also important. The Hifonic amp is just to get the build up and running. I plan to upgrade to a higher end amp in the future, I didn't know the XFL would handle more than the recommended 1K rms. In the future would this box be able to handle 3.5k? Would I need bracing? and or resin inside the box. I've been out of the loop way to long and all information is great. Again Joe X thanks for the box design , which I'm surly going to give it a try.

You can certainly add a couple of top to bottom braces one each side for additional support and fiberglass but I wouldn't get overly concerned of it coming apart even with the extra power. You should set the amp subsonic filter to 29Hz to prevent damage to the subs.

Hey Joe X, I was wondering if it would be possible for you to give me a screen shot of Torres with the numbers you have gave me.

The only reason I ask is I really would like to be able to utilize this program and I just cant get the numbers to match.

Any help for this newbie would be awesome.

Hello hapitec, here is a full layout with calculations for the box above for you to make calculations of any kind on it::

hapitec.jpg

Here are some figures on the box:

Driver displacement used was 0.22 cubic feet per sub.

Gross internal volume is 18 1/2 x 19 3/4 x 49 1/2 that equals to 10.46647 cubic feet.

Port displacement ( parts + airspace ) = 18 1/2 x 19 3/4 x 9 = 1.902994 cubic feet. (shown in the transparent blue cube behind the box).

Port center line length = 19 3/8 + 4 1/2 = 23 9/8 inches.

Bracing displacement for two 45s 3 inches wide = 0.048 cubic feet

Net internal volume = 10.46647 - 1.902994 - 0.44 - 0.048 = 8.075 cubic feet ( or 4.037 cubic feet per chamber).

Hope this is enough information BUT if you have any questions let me know.