I could really use some help with this. HDMI and Optical Audio at the same time

I recently bought a Denon AVR-391 at a pawn shop (perfect condition somehow). Here is my issue. I originally had one (from like the late 80's/early 90's or something) for my comp and my ps3 and 360 were also hooked into it, sound only. I bought this new Denon so I could get everything running through HDMI to the receiver and to my TV.

My computer doesnt transfer sound through HDMI (using my Graphics card) but my Motherboard has an Opitcal audio port and the guy at the pawn shop said I could run both. I didnt see how but bought it anyway (i can still return it if I need). The 360 carries video and sound just fine and the computer carries the video but no sound. How do I get it to run both at the same time?

1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

Jensen UV10 DVD HU

Two 12" Sony Xplode (temporary)

i would bet it would have something to do with the recievers settings or your computers settings . i just bought a marantz 7.1 receiver for the same reason you bought the denon (HDMI) and it has more damn settings than i care to learn my old yamaha witch it replaced had a slug of set up options to . are you sure your computers optical output is working ?

Ok after finding the manual online I found how to run HDMI video and Sound thru Optical Audio, but there is still no sound so that leads me to think its my comp or the port isnt working right.

1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

Jensen UV10 DVD HU

Two 12" Sony Xplode (temporary)

You have to assign that optical port to that hdmi port.

To test for signal on the optical line from your computer, play some music with the fiber plugged into the motherboard only.

Look on the other end of the optical cable and see if there is red light.

If no light, no signal

If you have red light then its programming on the reciever

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

• 2 weeks later...

On the computer you also have to select optical output. Depending on the video card you can also download an HDMI audio driver to send audio through HDMI and not have to worry about it, you just need to make sure its selected as the default output.

What OS are you running, and what model video card do you have?

Archived