Second Skin Audio

One or two 10's?

I've got an AQ1200d to power my new system. I am going to either use one 10 capable of handling all 1200+ watts or two 10's that will split the power. The single sub would be something like a Fi SSD and the two subs would be Sundown SD-2's. What differences will I see in these two setups? I'd have twice the cone area with the SD's, so does that mean twice the volume?

2007 Black Tahoe

AudioQue HDC3 15"

AQ 1200d

2 10s. more cone area will almost always be louder as long as the box is made correctly.

and lets not make this into a this brand that brand is better guys.

OP cone area is king

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

I thought that too but I spoke with the owner of Sundownonly.com and he told me that in a sealed box the SD-2's would perform better then the SA's. I was just going off of his assumption. In the sealed box, the subs would be seeing around .75ft^3 after displacement.

2007 Black Tahoe

AudioQue HDC3 15"

AQ 1200d

2 10s. more cone area will almost always be louder as long as the box is made correctly.

and lets not make this into a this brand that brand is better guys.

OP cone area is king

Thanks, that's what I've been thinking but I just wanted to confirm that it would work better.

2007 Black Tahoe

AudioQue HDC3 15"

AQ 1200d

while cone area is king, I'm working on saving up to buy 2 1508s off a guy on here, and replacing my 2 12s with a pair of 8s....i think getting loud off less cone area is more impressive. But if you're looking for numbers, cone area is king.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

while cone area is king, I'm working on saving up to buy 2 1508s off a guy on here, and replacing my 2 12s with a pair of 8s....i think getting loud off less cone area is more impressive. But if you're looking for numbers, cone area is king.

yea bro your stepping up to DD form clarion subs. ahah of course youll be louder. when comparing similiar subs on same power 2 subs will be louder than 1 in most cases.

i could easily put a DD 9510 on 3k in a great box and smoke lesser dual 10 setups anyday.

i guess there is a fine line when talking about cone area and all that. you just gotta have some sort of a sense of what your dealing with and try to compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges. so of course your gunna be louder going from clarion 12s to DD 8s. each one of those 8s can handle double what the the best clarions can. I assume you have the 500rms set?

so just to set this straight, you may have different results if switching from lets say 2 DC audio 12s or sundown 12s to DD 8s. you are talking about a little bit better subs and the difference may be a lot different when you go down to lesser cone area that is the same quality of cone area. i hope that makes sense.

MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/

BMW M340 xDrive

yea bro your stepping up to DD form clarion subs. ahah of course youll be louder. when comparing similiar subs on same power 2 subs will be louder than 1 in most cases.

i could easily put a DD 9510 on 3k in a great box and smoke lesser dual 10 setups anyday.

i guess there is a fine line when talking about cone area and all that. you just gotta have some sort of a sense of what your dealing with and try to compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges. so of course your gunna be louder going from clarion 12s to DD 8s. each one of those 8s can handle double what the the best clarions can. I assume you have the 500rms set?

so just to set this straight, you may have different results if switching from lets say 2 DC audio 12s or sundown 12s to DD 8s. you are talking about a little bit better subs and the difference may be a lot different when you go down to lesser cone area that is the same quality of cone area. i hope that makes sense.

im a bit intoxicated at the moment, last part lost me, but I'm feeding about 1200w RMS to the pair of 12s, so 500-600 each (not sure what the amp REALLY does ya know) But I've always wanted to run 8s, this may be my chance finally. The clarions have held up for 5 years and still sound like new, so yeah...im not disappointed with them at all, sure, they aren't any of the mainstreams, or the off brands, but thats what drew me to them, i knew clarion had a good rep in other depts, so i figured id try their subs, I'm happily surprised, especially since i paid 145 for the pair of them.

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

im a bit intoxicated at the moment, last part lost me, but I'm feeding about 1200w RMS to the pair of 12s, so 500-600 each (not sure what the amp REALLY does ya know) But I've always wanted to run 8s, this may be my chance finally. The clarions have held up for 5 years and still sound like new, so yeah...im not disappointed with them at all, sure, they aren't any of the mainstreams, or the off brands, but thats what drew me to them, i knew clarion had a good rep in other depts, so i figured id try their subs, I'm happily surprised, especially since i paid 145 for the pair of them.

haha well read it tomorrow sober. but yea man, the biggest thing is that you were happy and they had a great life it sounds like. 5 years is a long time. i go through subs like pairs of shoes. i know you will like the DD 8s. if you have questions about them i have some descent experience with DD.

OP cone areA!!!!

BMW M340 xDrive

oh yeah, 5 years was a great run, they still sound new too, even though i put a hole through one of the surrounds, which i siliconed over in and outside to fix, that was 3 years ago. These were the best budget buy ever, my first subs, they went from a sealed box, to a ported box to a final ported box, from doing a 135.x to a 141.x @37Hz in my blazer (different boxes). This is going to be in a trunk car, but Ive wanted to do 8s for years now, and I'm really excited to try them out. I just need to scrounge the money together, being in class/commuting to/from school over 40 hours a week, plus hw when i get home, doesn't leave much time for work to buy new stuff. If i can find someone to buy my subs (they are 150 each on ebay, i figure i can get 150 for the pair, 225 if i build a box for the customer buying the subs locally. Which is really close to the cost of the 8s.