Second Skin Audio

Why use ports? Confused about what I've read....

vrollin

post you meserments and ill work out what you have, but as i said, it not excact, it normaly going the be give or take 1hz,

the yellow line is the length of port in this drawing

port.png

Ahh, now I see what was being said reg measured from the centre of the angle, and here I was mind running wild thinking parts of the port wouldn't do anything and what not. So what your saying with this is that all the red area counts towards port volume, however in terms of calculating the length of the port to obtain port volume, you just measure from the centre of the angle? Same as running a line straight down and working out the volume for the triangle shaped part of the port and adding it to the square/rectangle shape part of the port...?

Im just gunna rebuild one of the boxes with the slot port on the side the same volume as specified by the focal spec sheet and see how it goes, I feel i should be getting a hell of alot more out of my subs considering the cabin size....

anything is fine, just try to keep it smooth, to assist in keeping the efficiency up,

but sometimes a rough/dimpled Finnish works better,

but best stick to flat and smooth

i normally use spray putty/primer (all in 1) in a can leave it to dry and sand smooth, then just paint it with what ever i have,

the putty/primer also assist in covering the end-grain, for a flawless finish

that is correct for sure, are you just building it to there specs or your own, as most companies recommend a smaller port then you should run, and with it being inside the ute, if there is any port noise you will here it for sure

The boxes internal, are just on 25L without sub displacement or port volume taken out. Focals specs recommend the same port 7" x 25" for 15, 25 and 30L boxes, so was just going to build the same port volume in a squared off shape. What port volume would you recommend for a 25L box to get around the 35hz mark? Focal quote 20L with its port to 40hz and 30L with its port to 33Hz, so I figured being the box I will build is 25L it will equate to around 35-36Hz, no maths here just guesstimating...

I know you are limited on space, and any port you put in the box, whatever the volume of the port you have to subtract from the volume of the box. So, have you oconsidered doing an external port so you keep you volume and still get your port?

Diving in, started building a box with a slot port, not sure if it will work so just an experiment at this stage, just wish I had some better tools for the build, I literally have to cut using the back step as a work bench so keep making small fuck-ups... :(

Progress so far, box looks really rough in the pics, actually aint that rough in person. Hopefully, finesse a couple of things on it tomorrow, trim it and maybe even test it, will probably do that the day after due to fumes..... If all works as planned, will build another one :)

DSC02166.jpg

Didnt even give it time to dry to take the photo... :)

Archived