DC Sound Lab

Hey guys, i'm looking into buying a m2 dc lvl 4 12 off of a forum member.. i already have one with the silver DC dustcap but the one I am buying is black.. i was just wondering if there was a way to change the dustcap color with out having to do a full recone.. and how expensive/ what things will i need if i can do it myself.. thanks guys

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T
Pioneer DVD navigation head unit
O2 audio performance mid range speakers
2 Crescendo PWX-6 Pro Mid Range Speakers
2 Crescendo PWX-8 Pro Mid Range Speakers
4 Selenium ST200 Super Tweeters
Hifonics ZRX2000.4 Amplifier
2- 12 inch DC Audio Level 4 m2
Hifonics Brutus BXI-1610D Amplifier

2 KinetiK HC1400R- Secondary Batteries
Kinetik HC600- Secondary Battery
Knukonceptz 1/0 gauge big 3 upgrade

i have no idea CJ.. it looks like the flat one to me.. but you're the expert! so here's the link to the subwoofer that i'm looking at!

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/145239-sale-updated-dc-skar-xs-look/

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T

That is the flat dustcap.

First things first, this might sound like a stupid question, but I just want to make sure.

That is a D2 sub, just want to make sure that is what you have before you buy something that doesnt match what you have.

Next, your wiring options will be .5ohm or 2 ohms. Make sure your amp and electrical can support .5 ohm.

Now on to your original question. No you cannot remove that dustcap without damaging the sub.

2 options.

1) I can get you 2 dome dustcaps with the silver vinyl logo and you can glue it over the flat dustcap on both subs.

2) you can get the Carbon Fiber dustcap with silver logo and glue over the flat dustcap on each sub.

The dustcap is installed with Rubber glue not CA. If you try to remove it you will damage the cone. Trust me on this one, I have done it and blown the cone out. I thought I was careful when I cut the dustcap off, but once you mess with the integrity of the cone, it just wont be the same.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

First things first, this might sound like a stupid question, but I just want to make sure.

That is a D2 sub, just want to make sure that is what you have before you buy something that doesnt match what you have.

Next, your wiring options will be .5ohm or 2 ohms. Make sure your amp and electrical can support .5 ohm.

Now on to your original question. No you cannot remove that dustcap without damaging the sub.

2 options.

1) I can get you 2 dome dustcaps with the silver vinyl logo and you can glue it over the flat dustcap on both subs.

2) you can get the Carbon Fiber dustcap with silver logo and glue over the flat dustcap on each sub.

lol thanks for double checking.. it's great to have someone looking out for me.

I actually do have a D2 subwoofer. Right now it is wired down to 1 ohm. I am not sure if the amp i have is .5 stable or if my electrical is. But i will not take that chance anyway. I will wire it to 2 ohms until I get a better amp.

Thanks for the help about the dustcaps.. I have a couple more questions now tho. Will adding the dome dustcap on top hinder the performance of the sub? If not how much do the dustcaps run? It will most likely be the regular silver dustcaps.

what about CA glue remover (deactivator???) and painting and applying your own dustcap

Edit: nice grab btw, looks sweet

I have never heard of CA glue remover.. but if CJ says that the dustcap can't be removed without messing up the coil then i rather take his word for it and not try it LOL

thanks =) it is a pretty sweet deal

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T

The dustcap is installed with Rubber glue not CA. If you try to remove it you will damage the cone. Trust me on this one, I have done it and blown the cone out. I thought I was careful when I cut the dustcap off, but once you mess with the integrity of the cone, it just wont be the same.

You can be sure that i will NOT try to mess with it lol.. i'm not looking to mess up the coil at allll

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T

2 options.

lol thanks for double checking.. it's great to have someone looking out for me.

I actually do have a D2 subwoofer. Right now it is wired down to 1 ohm. I am not sure if the amp i have is .5 stable or if my electrical is. But i will not take that chance anyway. I will wire it to 2 ohms until I get a better amp.

Thanks for the help about the dustcaps.. I have a couple more questions now tho. Will adding the dome dustcap on top hinder the performance of the sub? If not how much do the dustcaps run? It will most likely be the regular silver dustcaps.

what about CA glue remover (deactivator???) and painting and applying your own dustcap

Edit: nice grab btw, looks sweet

I have never heard of CA glue remover.. but if CJ says that the dustcap can't be removed without messing up the coil then i rather take his word for it and not try it LOL

thanks =) it is a pretty sweet deal

it's called debonder or acetone. I'm not sure how this would effect the paper cone though

edit: don't listen to me though. if you do end up doing a recone at any point though and you screw up like a buddy of mine, you can use debonder on the spider to reposition it.

Edited by Crandis16