Sundown Audio

Clamping question for mono amps with two terminals

Jessica

So my 9105D has two terminals. It's a mono block amp, and before you say it, i know they are both the same output and it's just that way to make it easier to hook up two speakers.

I clamped it today and I only used one of the subs to check output. So I clamped on one positive, and hooked the volt meter to one positive and one negative on that same sub.

It's a pita to hook both subs to one terminal so w/e

Anyway, do i just do that math and double it to get the wattage? Or is it impossible to tell this way.

The numbers I got were 47.6v and 8.1a which is 385 watts at 12.5v @ 5.8ohms

am i doing 770 @ 5.8ohms?

some other info you might like to know:

I am wired to 1 ohm

I am seeing a rise of 5.8 because i just used the 40hz tone on the smd disc, and i think this box is tuned to like 35-36hz.

Say I have some 12" on 2 cubes @35Hz and I sweep through, For a ported enclosure you should get something like this for impedance:

Capture-2.jpg

Between those two peaks there is an impedance minimum (at 35Hz).

you want to use the clamp on both positive wires, they can be in the different terminals on the amp. if you only clamp one wire you will only see half the amperage. the voltage can be read from just one wire (positive and negative) it wont make a difference.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

you want to use the clamp on both positive wires, they can be in the different terminals on the amp. if you only clamp one wire you will only see half the amperage. the voltage can be read from just one wire (positive and negative) it wont make a difference.

ok, well, that still works out to 774 if i just double the amperage then multiply time the voltage, which is probably right, right?

edit,

it also puts my at 2.9 ohms, thats not to bad for an amp rated at 500 @ 4ohm and 900 at 2ohms

yep, sounds right.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Archived