Second Skin Audio

Best size for subwoofer

alright. for subwoofers, you want a monoblock (1 channel) amp. in very rare cases it is better to use a bridged 2 channel. but 95% of the time, you want a monoblock

ported boxes, when built correctly, let the woofers play better than if in a sealed box.

clipping is the #1 killer of all speakers. i dont give a fuck if your speaker has a uranium phosphate iodine cooled voice coil. clipping will eventually fuck it up like a curb stomp.

you dont need a bass processor.

i'd throw away, or sell, that pyle (of shit) amp you have.

lastly, how much money do you have to spend for subwoofers/wiring/amp/box?

alright. for subwoofers, you want a monoblock (1 channel) amp. in very rare cases it is better to use a bridged 2 channel. but 95% of the time, you want a monoblock

ported boxes, when built correctly, let the woofers play better than if in a sealed box.

clipping is the #1 killer of all speakers. i dont give a fuck if your speaker has a uranium phosphate iodine cooled voice coil. clipping will eventually fuck it up like a curb stomp.

My budget is around 400$. Does the amp really make a big difference? It probably a stupid question but I have not really looked into amp reviews and such.

My budget is around 400$. Does the amp really make a big difference? It probably a stupid question but I have not really looked into amp reviews and such.

Junk the amp, a mb quart would be a lot better than Pyle and a 1kw one is like 79$ off sonic

1998 Pontiac grand prix gtp supercharged2 12" Obsidain Audio V.1 on a 2011 zx1500.1 at 2 ohms. 20ft of Knuconceptz CCA 0 Guage. 2nd Battery is a Shurken BT-120. Box is 3.5cu tuned at 31.8hz sealed off from the trunk. 14sqft of Dynamat on the Rear deck top & bottom. Soon to be more for doors/roof. Gets low & loud

Did a 140.5 Sealed at Battle of the boom in June 2013 dropping to 12.7v (need a alt mines going bad)

yes the amp really does make a difference in the way the woofers sound, and the amount of power outputted to the speakers.

when i think of good amps, i think of audioque, sundown, skar, dc, crescendo, kicker, rockford fosgate, and american bass vfl series. there are more but i cant think of them right now.

if you could, i'd stray away from audiopipe, and boss/pyle/kenwood amplifiers, and the like.

for $400 you could do a very decent setup. like 2 obsidian audio dual 4 ohm 12's, and an mb quart onyx 1500. its not top of the line equipment, but it will work well for a daily system.

Edited by Kranny

if your budget is 400$ max than I would look at a E-12 or obsidian audio 12(if you can get it and not get raped on shipping) E-12 will run you about 110-115 shipped if you look at the right place.

Spend the 110 on E-12 D2

get the mb quart 1500 or a brz 1200. wire it at 4ohms not 1ohm. So you will get like 450 which is RMS for the E-12.

250-275$ right now

take the other 125-150

Order good OFC 4 gauge. Knu Koncepts Kollosus flex gets my vote...or Audiotechnix OFC(oxygen free copper)

Get enough to do your amp and the Big 3.

Use the leftover money to get some MDF and build a box exactly to spec...a ported box. Whatever you have leftover maybe invest in a Better head unit or some better Coaxials or components.

Just my 2cents and what I would do with 400$ ----IF this budget is exclusively for subs amps alone than I would get two e-12s a brz1200 and wire 1ohm.

Edited by Chris Hammer

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

if your budget is 400$ max than I would look at a E-12 or obsidian audio 12(if you can get it and not get raped on shipping) E-12 will run you about 110-115 shipped if you look at the right place.

Spend the 110 on E-12 D2

get the mb quart 1500 or a brz 1200. wire it at 4ohms not 1ohm. So you will get like 450 which is RMS for the E-12.

250-275$ right now

take the other 125-150

Order good OFC 4 gauge. Knu Koncepts Kollosus flex gets my vote...or Audiotechnix OFC(oxygen free copper)

Use the leftover money to get some MDF and build a box exactly to spec...a ported box. Whatever you have leftover maybe invest in a Better head unit or some better Coaxials or components.

Just my 2cents and what I would do with 400$ ----IF this budget is exclusively for subs amps alone than I would get two e-12s a brz1200 and wire 1ohm.

Thanks for the input. I am thinking about mb quart over older pyle amp. I already have the wiring for the battery so I save some money there. How do you think the e-12s stack up to two scar vvx 12's?

In the hands of the right person there is no comparison,

But if the vvz is in the wrong box v's the right for e-12 will be better,

As said before, you have a budget, post some meserments and then see what you can fit, and make a choise from there.

Myself I like single ported 15" in budget systems but that's just me,

You'll set this up from $300up

Edited by john253a

As said before, you have a budget, post some meserments and then see what you can fit, and make a choise from there.

Do you use the 15 ported for a groundshaker or a sq?

This is the box I have now but it's made for two tens sealed.

ab75a585.jpg

Spend the 110 on E-12 D2

250-275$ right now

take the other 125-150

I like this idea also, but instead of just 1 12. Do either 1 15.

Or 1 18 same wattage like obsidiian audio if you have the room. They are all just asking for 600rms

1998 Pontiac grand prix gtp supercharged2 12" Obsidain Audio V.1 on a 2011 zx1500.1 at 2 ohms. 20ft of Knuconceptz CCA 0 Guage. 2nd Battery is a Shurken BT-120. Box is 3.5cu tuned at 31.8hz sealed off from the trunk. 14sqft of Dynamat on the Rear deck top & bottom. Soon to be more for doors/roof. Gets low & loud

Did a 140.5 Sealed at Battle of the boom in June 2013 dropping to 12.7v (need a alt mines going bad)