Jump to content

Multiple comps,passive or active x-overs,impedance?


dog24fret

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have read what I can find about the running multiple component sets on one channel. I seen partial statements that lower impedance can change the passive x-over points. So of course it got me confused now if this is a good idea or not. Or do I need to run active set up if that's the correct term for it. I am planning on running 4 sets of comps off of 2 4 channel amps. By running channel 1&2 on each amp at 2ohms for the comps. If you have any opinions on this I am all ears. I would like some pro and cons on doing this. If running mids and tweets off the amps might be better. Thanks for the help on this.

Posted

I have read what I can find about the running multiple component sets on one channel. I seen partial statements that lower impedance can change the passive x-over points. So of course it got me confused now if this is a good idea or not. Or do I need to run active set up if that's the correct term for it. I am planning on running 4 sets of comps off of 2 4 channel amps. By running channel 1&2 on each amp at 2ohms for the comps. If you have any opinions on this I am all ears. I would like some pro and cons on doing this. If running mids and tweets off the amps might be better. Thanks for the help on this.

I would go active if your amp x-overs let you. Run you mids on their own channels and the sans for the tweets. The mids will get more power. And you won't have to worry about the crossovers sucking some of the power. Also you can adjust the level of your tweets independent of the mids.
Posted

The crossovers actually cause power loss didn't know that. Yes sir the amps will let me do that. I am planing on giving each set 45-60 watts. They will handle 100 watts rms. Does that mean I give my tweets the same power as I do for my mids? If I 45 watts per mid go 45 per tweet? I hope this isn't stupid or irritating for you guys. This is new for me. Thanks.

Posted

The crossovers actually cause power loss didn't know that. Yes sir the amps will let me do that. I am planing on giving each set 45-60 watts. They will handle 100 watts rms. Does that mean I give my tweets the same power as I do for my mids? If I 45 watts per mid go 45 per tweet? I hope this isn't stupid or irritating for you guys. This is new for me. Thanks.

Components split the power set to the x-over. So if you send 50 watts mids only getting 25 or so. That's why in most sets the tweets are harsh and not enough midrange. Go active you can give the mid more power and give less to the tweet for a more balanced sound. With no worry of playing at full tilt and the tweets dying.
Posted

If I were running four sets of comps I would wire the drivers in series/ parallel and bridge the four channels. You would have four on each channel. One amp for the midrange and one for the tweeters. You could adjust the tweeter output independently and not worry about a lower impedance. Do your amps have active capability?

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Posted

If I were running four sets of comps I would wire the drivers in series/ parallel and bridge the four channels. You would have four on each channel. One amp for the midrange and one for the tweeters. You could adjust the tweeter output independently and not worry about a lower impedance. Do your amps have active capability?

Yes sir my amps have active capability. Plus I will be using active clarion mcd360 crossovers on the left and right channels. Between the head unit and the amps. Running active like this I may only use two 4 channel amps instead of three. Thanks sir.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1145 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...