Second Skin Audio

Need advice on subs/box for a tractor trailer

Phototini_xB

Hey guys I'm pretty new to the site and also new to car audio since it's been about eight years since I've had a system. I'd like to put a decent system in my freight-liner truck. It has a 70" condo sleeper and there is a nice storage area under the bunk about 18" H x 70" wide x 36" deep. I will have to put a new head unit in because mine doesn't work at the moment. But basically I would like to go with the easiest route to have strong bass in this truck. The charging system CAN handle 3-5kws but if I don't need that much that's cool.

So I would like some opinions on subwoofer choices, size, number of subs, box style, and type/power of amp to keep it simple and loud. Thank you in advance for any help you can give. Oh and I did already search google and youtube for big trucks with systems and didn't find much except for show trucks with 10k dollar custom systems.

How much are you wanting to spend?

My current 95 Jetta Build w/

pioneer h/u

2 RD Sonance 10's with flatwind coils

2 Audiopipe apsm 1500.1s

1 Hifonics Brutus Elite 60x4

1 XS d925

1 Stinger spv35

1 1000 amp lead acid

50 ft of 0/1 ofc from Audiotechnix

all powerbass components, and coaxils, 4 sets

buildlog = http://www.stevemead...2-rd-10s-build/

My build for my wife. http://www.stevemead...01-f-150-build/

I work for the company that supplys FL all of their OEM audio systems (I actually am a resident engineer at Peterbilt doing all of their audio systems).

Keep in mind that most aftermarket radios will not even last a year in a class 8 truck.

The new Peterbilt model 587 updated interior will have 2 10" subs under the bunk. Sounds pretty darn good for a budget OEM system.

PM me some contact info and I will see what we can do if you are interested in one of the dual 10" subs. With just a small ~300 watt amp, it really does a good job of just adding some nice blended bass to a factory system.

Brian

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Thanks for the info Brian. I actually drive a 386 right now but it's a lease truck and will be going back soon. The system I have in that has the integrated navigation and I've had a lot of problems with the blue tooth functionality and with the CD player not reading disc's even while sitting still. The sound is decent for a stock system though, mine has two 6" ?? speakers under the passenger side of the bunk.

But you do bring up a good point about the longevity of an aftermarket head unit. Which is why I am just going to get a cheap one that has an AUX input for my Ipod. I'm also looking for more bass than just to fill out the sound of the truck. I want to feel it like you would in a normal car or truck. My budget is about a thousand bucks for the sub/s and amp. I already have all the power wire and RCA's.

That is the PACCAR SmartNav in your 386. It is a work in progress :)

We not supply the SmartNav, but we do supply the amp and speakers in your 386. Not a bad system for what it cost Peterbilt. Only issue is the amp sense (it is a gain setting between the radio and amp) in the SmartNav does not work correctly, so the system is maxed out when the volume is only half way up.

For you FL - we have a heavy duty radio with USB and Bluetooth. The model is DEA365. I think aftermarket is less than $200. Should plug directly into the FL harness.

No RCA outputs, but a PAC SNI-35 is only $15 and they work great for a line level converter.

If you decide to go with a different radio, we also sell adapter harnesses if you do not want to cut up the FL harness.

www.panapacific.com

Brian

Current system:

Previous systems:

Thanks a lot for the info Brian. I will definitely be hitting you up when it's time for the head unit.

So does anyone have any idea's for sub/box and amp combo's?

Look at sundown audio e series subwoofers I have two 12" they are awesome!! For the price I couldn't find anything I thought was better.

My box would fit under your bunk, its design is in here under 98 dodge ram box design. I'm not sure about quality low price amplifiers though..

P.s. I built that box for like 50$ ;-)

98' dodge ram

140A alt

Big 3

XS D2700

JVC kd-r310

Rockford T500-1BDCP

2 Sundown E12 Ported 4cubes 35hz

Rockford P400-4

2 Infinity reference 3way 6x9

2 Polk DB 5 1/4

2x layer dynamat all doors

Thank you SeveranceJ, I will look into those woofers. Will a sealed box or ported be better in a big truck application? I know in regular cars and trucks I prefer ported over sealed but don't know if having the box under the bunk will have a negative effect or not?

You can do either. Ported requires a bigger box, but will have more output.

I talked to the PB engineer today about your SmartNav. They are interested in swapping your CD piece for a new one if you would like. They would like to send it to the supplier for evaluation.

Current system:

Previous systems:

Archived