Upgrade Big 3, Alternator, Battery?

With regards to your upgrade, there are different ways to look at it. Proper wiring is important to ensure that your electrical system will charge properly and, most importantly, safely. We have had situations in the past where people neglect to upgrade their connection cables and with a HO alternator in place of the old OEM, this could possibly lead to melted cables, damaged batteries, and fire. So, when planning your set up, you have to consider 1. how much power you need to handle 2. how many watts your battery will support as a primary or secondary source and 3. how many amperes are needed to handle that load. Our alternators come in different amperages and are designed to work with large audio systems and vehicle accesory set ups. For your 1999 Oldsmobile Alero, we offer a 270 amp alternator as well as a 320 amp model. With any alternator that produces 220 amps or more we recommend using zero gauge (1/0) cable. We do utilize our resources at XS Power for cable and batteries. They are reliable and last long. If you have any other specific questions, please do not hesitate to message us here or you can reach me directly at [email protected]. Thanks.

I'm running 4600wrms so I did the Big 3 and two runs of 1/0awg all with OFC wire. I also have an XS D3400 battery and a Mechman 270a alternator. Looking into a possible 2nd XS D3400 battery depending on how well this battery holds up as they claim it will handle a 4000-5000 watt system, which I am skeptical, although XS is a great company and one of the 2 manufacturers of batteries I would go with.

With a 1500wrms amp, thats not too much power. I would recommend doing the Big 3 and an XS Battery to replace your current battery. Figure out what Group Size battery your battery is and go with that XS battery. They have a wide variety of Group size batteries. My Group size battery for my pickup is a Group 34, so for it to fit, I went with their D3400. If you have a Group 31 Battery, then go with their D3100 and so on. You dont need an HO alternator for 1500wrms. You could even add a second battery such as an Optima and keep your second battery to keep the cost down since you arent running tons of wattage. You aren't demanding much from your electrical system once you do the Big 3 and run either 4 gauge OFC power wire or 1/0 OCC power wire at minimum.