Ok, jumping the gun here, but it's been a long day...

I waited all day for UPS to bring the amp yesterday, didn't get here until almost 8:30 PM... Thanks dedicated UPS guy.

Well, I started running wire for the 4-channel amp today, that was a pain... Finally got that done, 2 more RCA's run, all speaker wire in the back, etc.

I was originally going to drop the new amp into the spare tire well on an amp rack I cut out way back when. Then I thought of how hard it would be to tune it down there. Plus, I didn't have any 4 gauge wiring on-hand.

I took and cut a piece of wood to sit atop the battery and serve as a temporary amp rack. It feels really cheesy and not up to my normal quality, but it's temporary. I'll swap it out to a more permanent solution when I swap in new speakers.

Currently running some cheap Q-power 6.5's in the front doors, and stock in the rear. I was working on some panels to swap the rear to some pioneer 6x9's I had laying around. I was rushing this the other night, and think I screwed one panel up, so I'll start again...

Back to the amp, she's installed. I attempted to tune it tonight, but I have an issue where the amp is going into protect mode. I'll look at it more tomorrow.

Going to recheck:

1. grounds

2. speaker wires(might have pinched one...?)

3. remote wire (I skimped here, trying to finish up and cheaped out... I jumpered from one amp to the other, will bypass this tomorrow, and maybe even try a relay).

More updates to come, including pics. Camera is in car, and I'm too lazy to go get it tonight.

2011 Chevrolet Aveo(click for build log)
Clarion NX-603
SKAR 4500.1D
Iraggi 320A alt

Knukonceptz 1/0 Kollosus Fleks Cable
8 AWG Sky High Car Audio OFC

1/0- Sky High Car Audio

2- XP3000 XS Power Batteries
SMD VM-1
2- 12" Ascendant Audio Mayhems

Toolmaker Fuse block

Toolmaker Bus Bars

(Last Season scores 1-15" Mayhem)

145.2 dB- Sealed @ NSPL World Finals (9/28/14)

148.1 dB- Hardcore @ NSPL World Finals (9/27/14)

150.23-- Hardcore on 4500 Watts!!!!

New Build (2015, 2-12" Mayhems)

146.9- Sealed on dash

149.6 dB- Hardcore in Kick (No wall 0-24" Hardcore)

I'm excited seeing another Aveo owner :) I've got an '08 Sedan though. Guessing you ran your power wire through the gromet towards the center on the passenger side? Pain in the ass to get to, but It's nice and tucked out of the way. I've been digging around for an alternator forever and not much luck. Did you get anywhere with the Silverado/tahoe swap? That caught my interest and can't beleive I didn't think about it having an '03 Silverado 2500hd at my disposal. Overall it's looking clean and pretty interesting. Wouldn't mind throwing some ideas around if you ever get the time man.

-Ryan

Ok, jumping the gun here, but it's been a long day... I waited all day for UPS to bring the amp yesterday, didn't get here until almost 8:30 PM... Thanks dedicated UPS guy. Well, I started running wire for the 4-channel amp today, that was a pain... Finally got that done, 2 more RCA's run, all speaker wire in the back, etc. I was originally going to drop the new amp into the spare tire well on an amp rack I cut out way back when. Then I thought of how hard it would be to tune it down there. Plus, I didn't have any 4 gauge wiring on-hand. I took and cut a piece of wood to sit atop the battery and serve as a temporary amp rack. It feels really cheesy and not up to my normal quality, but it's temporary. I'll swap it out to a more permanent solution when I swap in new speakers. Currently running some cheap Q-power 6.5's in the front doors, and stock in the rear. I was working on some panels to swap the rear to some pioneer 6x9's I had laying around. I was rushing this the other night, and think I screwed one panel up, so I'll start again... Back to the amp, she's installed. I attempted to tune it tonight, but I have an issue where the amp is going into protect mode. I'll look at it more tomorrow. Going to recheck: 1. grounds 2. speaker wires(might have pinched one...?) 3. remote wire (I skimped here, trying to finish up and cheaped out... I jumpered from one amp to the other, will bypass this tomorrow, and maybe even try a relay). More updates to come, including pics. Camera is in car, and I'm too lazy to go get it tonight.

Amp was an easy fix. I checked the impedance at each terminal, one channel was less than 1-ohm. Apparently, one of the stock speakers in the rear had terminals that were too close and touching when the bass hit, seperated them a bit and no more trouble.

I'm excited seeing another Aveo owner :) I've got an '08 Sedan though. Guessing you ran your power wire through the gromet towards the center on the passenger side? Pain in the ass to get to, but It's nice and tucked out of the way. I've been digging around for an alternator forever and not much luck. Did you get anywhere with the Silverado/tahoe swap? That caught my interest and can't beleive I didn't think about it having an '03 Silverado 2500hd at my disposal. Overall it's looking clean and pretty interesting. Wouldn't mind throwing some ideas around if you ever get the time man. -Ryan

Awesome to see other folks trying to get audio in their Aveos too. That grommet that you're referring to is on the passenger side, away from the battery. That's a few extra feet of power wire that you'll have to run. There's a small hole on the driver's side that is much easier and closer to use. I'll try and get you a pic.

I'm still working on the alt swap. Waiting to hear back from a supplier. I think that we'll have to swap the bottom bracket out to a "j-mount" to make the alts work, but this doesn't seem too hard. I'll get back to you when I know a little more. Worst-case scenario, I'm thinking something might have to be machined.

I do have a Silverado sitting here that I've been trying to get the alt specs off of.

I definitely like hearing ideas, feel free to shoot them my way, and appreciate the kind words.

Clarion NX-603
SKAR 4500.1D
Iraggi 320A alt

1/0- Sky High Car Audio

SMD VM-1

Toolmaker Fuse block

Toolmaker Bus Bars

146.9- Sealed on dash

That's the gromet I'm kinda stuck with at the moment. I couldn't get to the drivers side at all without a jack, but I've got it tucked out of the way for now. I'll try rerouting the wiring after I get my 1/0 in a few weeks. Might be a slight difference in the layout of the 08s than the 11s, not 100%. I'm enjoying the rear 6.5s, waiting on 1" spacers to switch out the doors 4" for 6.5s. Should be here Wednesday though. I'll look into other spots to run it after the weather clears a little bit. Definately keep me in the loop on the alt swap, Mechman was saying I had the choice of their universal Gm compact, building a custom would be a waste of expenses.

That's the gromet I'm kinda stuck with at the moment. I couldn't get to the drivers side at all without a jack, but I've got it tucked out of the way for now. I'll try rerouting the wiring after I get my 1/0 in a few weeks. Might be a slight difference in the layout of the 08s than the 11s, not 100%. I'm enjoying the rear 6.5s, waiting on 1" spacers to switch out the doors 4" for 6.5s. Should be here Wednesday though. I'll look into other spots to run it after the weather clears a little bit. Definately keep me in the loop on the alt swap, Mechman was saying I had the choice of their universal Gm compact, building a custom would be a waste of expenses.

I think the hole is there, may be wrong. IIRC, it's the same place I did an install on an '04 Aveo HB, years ago.

This is where it's at on my car.

DSC02937_zpsb458dfb6.jpg

Just above the brake booster on driver's side. Sorry for the pic quality.

Clarion NX-603
SKAR 4500.1D
Iraggi 320A alt

1/0- Sky High Car Audio

SMD VM-1

Toolmaker Fuse block

Toolmaker Bus Bars

146.9- Sealed on dash

Here's some goodies. The amp that got here at 8:30 PM.

DSC02921_zps9b7788c6.jpg

DSC02922_zpsfa508b1f.jpg

DSC02923_zps32a0785d.jpg

DSC02924_zpsea0899ac.jpg

Came with a cleaning cloth

DSC02925_zps26c5948c.jpg

DSC02926_zps47c3834c.jpg

DSC02928_zpsed310636.jpg

Look, I smudged it up already!

DSC02929_zpsed27baf6.jpg

Here's the install that followed.

Running wires inside the doors was a pain. This connector made things difficult.

DSC02932_zps876b29e0.jpg

16Gauge wire for now. Maybe I'll get fancy when I've got some better speakers in the doors.

DSC02933_zps3e431ecc.jpg

Rear speakers are still the factory 4x6 junk

DSC02826_zps1b152dd6.jpg

This will be remedied. I'm working on some new panels for the rear, so I can swap out to some 6x9 Pioneers I have laying around. Was going to make the panels in MDF, but thinking about cutting down some plexi. Still contemplating design for now.

IMG_20130103_203551.jpg

Pic is hard to see, but Sketching up some replacement panels.

IMG_20130103_194942.jpg

The new amp will eventually be dropped down into the spare tire well. Here's an old amp rack I had cut from before. If I'm not too lazy, I'll sand and paint this black too.

IMG_20130103_173327.jpg

I decided to install this amp on a temporary rack for now. I only had a few feet of 4 gauge wiring to install it, plus I figured it'd be a pain to install it in the spare tire well, then try to tune it. I'll move it once I have new speakers and it becomes a permanent installation.

IMG_20130105_164133.jpg

This is the view from behind my car ;-)

DSC02935_zpsdccef7f6.jpg

Clarion NX-603
SKAR 4500.1D
Iraggi 320A alt

1/0- Sky High Car Audio

SMD VM-1

Toolmaker Fuse block

Toolmaker Bus Bars

146.9- Sealed on dash

Thanks man.

Clarion NX-603
SKAR 4500.1D
Iraggi 320A alt

1/0- Sky High Car Audio

SMD VM-1

Toolmaker Fuse block

Toolmaker Bus Bars

146.9- Sealed on dash

I'll take a look under the hood of mine after work tomorrow afternoon if I get off with some daylight left. If I can't get to it, I'll just run it as is nowwith techflex and loom. Under the car really isn't an option with the Florida weather and hurricanes and all. Still clean though with the new amp. Waiting on spacers, foam baffles, speaker wire, and 3 sets of 2chan rcas right now before I can start putting any of my new mids and highs in from Skar. I'll have pics up of it with a build log later on. Trying to get it done by SBN '13 ^_^

Good luck man,

I am trying to get mine all finished up before NSPL show around here. I'd love to see how we meter.

Clarion NX-603
SKAR 4500.1D
Iraggi 320A alt

1/0- Sky High Car Audio

SMD VM-1

Toolmaker Fuse block

Toolmaker Bus Bars

146.9- Sealed on dash

Archived