Second Skin Audio

Mtx Mzs1204 Review & Enclosure Build

I don't know how a lot of you can photo your installs and builds so thoroughly, I just wanted to get the job done. Since this is my first time photoing the building process it excludes some key pictures that I should have taken, like the subwoofer out of the box and building the port.

MTX MZS1204 Review

To start things off, I found an MTX MZS1204 at a very affordable price, $90 after tax including a 2 year service plan, this was about 1/3 the original price. I am powering it with my Rockford T1500-1 that gives it 666 @ 4ohm 300 watts more than mtx recommends which is also why I got the service plan.

This is my first MTX subwoofer, and all I can say is MTX won't get my vote for manufacturing, at least their lower line subwoofers won't. Already doubting the quality of the subwoofer due to the thin steal basket and little magnet with no air vent, I connected it up to my mono amp. Once turned on it gave off the worst clinking noise I have ever heard, I took it out of the enclosure and found that the spider wasn't even attached to the basket, the glue wasn't even visible. Now I am a bit irate, so I did what any irate audio enthusiast would do, reconnected it and turned the gain up. Took about 2 minutes to start burning up, RIP MTX. I exchanged it the same day and wasn't to happy with the new MTX tc5 series I got. It had a cheaper cone material and the same backing/motor assembly as the MZS. No review on this subwoofer, all I can say is at least they glued the spider to the basket this time............Good job MTX!

MTX MZS1204 Slot Port Enclosure Build

Not much to say here accept thank you Home Depot, purchased all the MDF I needed for $5 flat. No I didn't know anyone who worked there, luckily the wood I got were left as scraps.

The build went great and the newer mtx subwoofer has some bass, nothing to brag about but at least now I have some thump and can still fit my stroller in the trunk.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Specs:

Enclosure - L 33.5" x H 13.5" x D 12"

Net Volume - 1.9 cubic feet

Port - 2" x 12" x 30.75

Tuning Frequency - 31Hz

Total Project Cost - $95

nice simple build man, looks good

Yeah Iam always at the home depot 51cent rack

I did a box built from 3/4" birch, which was 5 2x4ft sheets and 1 full sheet alone costs $39, so 5 would have been about $50

I waled away with just paying $2.50 or something

Yayyyy for home depot!!!

oh yeah, that box (packaging) is very decieving, it shows the higher end model on the box, but you get a POS instead- well if you like the sub, you like it, was just talking from the pic, to what I googled online for pics of the sub you have

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

My fiance is happy, she wanted a bit of bass and didn't want to lose the trunk. I may be building a sealed box for her because she wants a bit more room for other things. After dealing with this MTX I had to open up my Rockford Fosgate T212 that I have sitting in my basement just to breath in some quality, that mtx stanks.

lol

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

That is correct, although it should last more than a few seconds for that price. I may just look for a baby amp to power this thing, I was thinking like 4 AA batteries strapped. :lol:

lol

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

That bad huh...for that price you couldn't find say a 5500 or 7500? Hook up a better mtx and I don't think you'd have the same problem...or disgust with it...maybe...

I have owned many subwoofers, low-end to high-end and this was by far the worst experience. The replacement subwoofer was the 5500, it looks the exact same as the mzs I reviewed. I have it installed now and it is alright, doesn't impress me but my fiance is happy with it........she doesn't like to much boom.

I have owned many subwoofers, low-end to high-end and this was by far the worst experience. The replacement subwoofer was the 5500, it looks the exact same as the mzs I reviewed. I have it installed now and it is alright, doesn't impress me but my fiance is happy with it........she doesn't like to much boom.

ive got 2 mtx 5500 1544's powered with a memphis 1000.1d and it slaps, ied go my mtx's specs n build a sealed box for it thats what i did but mines downfireing ina tacoma, mine are only 600w max and i give em 500rms each and they take it liek a champ, but if u want somethin better get the mtx 7500 thats what im gonna upgrade to next so i can open my amp up, my buddy has 2 5500 1244's downfire in the back of his truck wired to a mtx 1000d and its loud as hell for 12's, it might just be the box or just a bad sub cause ive had mine for bout a yr now n aint had a prob yet, is yours single 4ohm or dvc?

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

Archived