Second Skin Audio

4th order bandpass with passive radiators... can it be done

okay so i have a crazy one for you guys. i have been thinking and what would happen if i build a 4th order bandpass for 2 boston acoustics g5 12s built the sealed section to 1.5 cubic foot per chamber and then a 5 cubic foot common ported chamber. then put a passive radiator on with each sealed sub and then tuned the passive radiator to 30 hz. then tune the actual 5 cube ported section to 50 hz. would that work. its just something i been thinking about for a few days and all the calculations worked out but i just want personal advice before i go for it

Head Unit -- Alpine CDA-9887

Mids and highs -- 2 Crescendo PWX-8's

4 Crescendo PWX-6's

4 Crescendo FT-1 Super tweeters

Mids and Highs amps -- 2 Alpine V12 MRV-F545

Subs -- TBD

Sub amp -- Crescendo Bass Cleff BC2000.

Sub Box -- Ported box 9 cubic foot tuned to 37hz for 2 15 with 140 inch port area

Processor - Alpine imprint

I have no idea how you'd go about designing an enclosure with a passive radiator. I'd be interested in learning more though.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

580083_254124791374747_1781105551_n.jpg

so something like this that i made on sketchup this is a blow through 4th order bandpass that i created for my chevy truck the outside cutouts would be for the passive radiators and the inside ones would be for the subs. the sealed chambers are 1.63 cubic feet per side after sub and radiator displacement. the ported chamber is a common chamber with 5.58 cubic feet net with a 9x18x12 inch external port tuned to 50hz now where im confused is can i throw in that passive radiator and tune it down to about 30 hz and get that db boost in the 30 hz range while still geting the high spl at the 50 hz range from the front common port?? any one have any experiance with something like this

Head Unit -- Alpine CDA-9887

Mids and highs -- 2 Crescendo PWX-8's

4 Crescendo PWX-6's

4 Crescendo FT-1 Super tweeters

Mids and Highs amps -- 2 Alpine V12 MRV-F545

Subs -- TBD

Sub amp -- Crescendo Bass Cleff BC2000.

Sub Box -- Ported box 9 cubic foot tuned to 37hz for 2 15 with 140 inch port area

Processor - Alpine imprint

To be a 6th, the rear chamber has to be ported as well. I don't know what post you were referring to.. i didn't read the one right above yours lol

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

The front chamber would have the ports/passive radiators, the rear chamber would still be sealed.

More box builds

I'm with captain stupid.

right but the P/R kind of acts as a port for a sealed box so in a way in theory it should act like a 6th

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

I know :) pseudo, as in kinda, but not really. I know passive radiators don't utilize the rear wave like a port does. Anyway, it was more of a joke than a serious statement

:drinks:

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

I didn't read through the OP's post. Yeah, essentially that's a 6th order not a 4th. In order to be a 4th, you would build a sealed chamber to spec, and leave out the passive radiators from the SEALED side. then for the front chamber you'd put the passive radiators in to act like ports.

More box builds

I'm with captain stupid.