Are Infinite Baffle Setups Any Good?

Ask bkolfo4, he knows a lot about IB setups, and actually built a home theater with the FI IB's, and told me he can cleanly play down to 7hz, which I do wanna see someday.

Yes indeed. I literally just got a reply from him about half an hour ago. My main question was does it sound good, and how did he re-enforce the wall, and all that. He said that it sounds amazing, all the way around the frequency spectrum. He also said that he built the wall out of wood, and then glued drywall over the wood.

I couldn't reply to your PM and was too lazy to start a new message. Sorry.

I have listened to hundreds of subwoofers, and nothing I have ever listened to compares to my IB for clarity and deep bass. Yes, I have heard louder in a car, but not in a HT.

4 18's will provide more than enough output. My 8 are WAY overkill, but I like the look. . .

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

I couldn't reply to your PM and was too lazy to start a new message. Sorry.

I have listened to hundreds of subwoofers, and nothing I have ever listened to compares to my IB for clarity and deep bass. Yes, I have heard louder in a car, but not in a HT.

4 18's will provide more than enough output. My 8 are WAY overkill, but I like the look. . .

Nah man, it's cool. It's not like you had to respond at all. I appreciate that you did :)

For me, I would rather have really clear low notes than volume. And it sounds like IB will give great lows, and a very decent amount of bass. Seems like a deal for me!

Most humans can't hear anything below 20hz...

Yes, but they can still feel it

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

When I was testing mine below 15 Hz, my kids got really upset. Both of their rooms are right below the theater room, and it was really wierd being in their rooms with the amp just below clippIng. . .

Current system:

Previous systems:

When I was testing mine below 15 Hz, my kids got really upset. Both of their rooms are right below the theater room, and it was really wierd being in their rooms with the amp just below clippIng. . .

Ooh. BTW, do things fall off of walls and shelves when it's up loud? Because I though IB pretty much rock solid, and doesn't have too many vibrations. I have some things that I really don't want falling off the wall (like a TV and some monitors...)

Every time I crank mine up, I have to straighten most of the pictures hanging on the walls throughout the house. But, it is no worse than any other really loud subwoofer system.

Current system:

Previous systems:

• 3 weeks later...

You may want to try Open Baffle or Di-Pole bass first and see how your drivers sound. I use a pair of 15" Hawthorne Audio "Auggies" and they sound fantastic. I've heard of folks being happy with using the attic in an IB setup, but have not heard one myself so I can't comment about that.

Have you checked your ceiling joist spacing? It's usually 16" on center. 18's won't fit without boxing the joists like you would for a large skylight, and you might get a lot of flex from the motion of the drivers if you skimp on the framing. Also, consider a hardware cloth cage in the attic to keep rodents from gnawing on everything.

Archived