Are Infinite Baffle Setups Any Good?

The title says most of it... Are Infinite Baffle setups any good?

More specifically, I am thinking of 4 FI IB3 18's mounted into the ceiling with the attic as the "box". All four together would be getting right around 2200 watts. That's pretty much exactly their rated power.

My problem comes in with the whole IB concept. Since Infinite Baffle is pretty much a fancy way of saying Free Air, I was wondering how good they will sound. I want them mainly because they will hit the extreme lows, but I also want some great SQ with it. So, will an IB setup deliver on SQ?

Also, the amp I plan on using with these subs is a DSP amp, and the High Pass filter can only go down to 20Hz. Is that a good cutoff, or should I go for the Non-DSP version, and figure out some other EQ?

Infinite baffle and free air are not the same thing. Infinite baffles can be incredible sounding but I have no idea if what you are wanting to do will work.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Infinite baffle and free air are not the same thing. Infinite baffles can be incredible sounding but I have no idea if what you are wanting to do will work.

As far as putting them in the ceiling / attic? I've seen many people doing that with theirs. As long as the attic has lots of insulation, I've been told it's fine.

Yup, I know diddly squat about infinite baffle set ups. Puttin them in the attic like that would be an infinite baffle set up, I just have no idea how well it would work.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

free air is where both sides of the sub are in the same air space, IB is where there not,

i have quite a few mates with dual 12 ib in the roof, as said to get the most out of them you need to insulate the roof space,

what we done was create a monster box, out of mdf and used that, our box was around 50-60cuft gross each (3 sheets of 3/4 mdf cut in half to make each box)

as for sound i was happy with it, just wish bigger or more subs were used, but cost always plays a big factor

Yup, I know diddly squat about infinite baffle set ups. Puttin them in the attic like that would be an infinite baffle set up, I just have no idea how well it would work.

Haha. Well, thanks for trying.

not was what I was expecting to see on IB setups. It's kinda like a trunk, but with trunks it's a lot easier to seal up

Yepp, I'm sure it's going to be hard to seal up, but I'm going to be taking all of the insulation out of the attic and re-doing it anyways. So it shouldn't be hard to isolate the sides of the subs.

free air is where both sides of the sub are in the same air space, IB is where there not,

i have quite a few mates with dual 12 ib in the roof, as said to get the most out of them you need to insulate the roof space,

what we done was create a monster box, out of mdf and used that, our box was around 50-60cuft gross each (3 sheets of 3/4 mdf cut in half to make each box)

as for sound i was happy with it, just wish bigger or more subs were used, but cost always plays a big factor

My plan (as crazy as it may sound) is to build a "pink room" in the attic. It's basically going to be a big box, like 1000 cubic feet, with like 1 foot of pink insulation all around. As for wishing you had more subs, or bigger subs, I think I will be fine there ;)

IB set ups are more for SQ they can sound amazing but with SQ you lose big time in Output

Well, I think I'm okay with that. Even if I "lose big time on output" there is no way 4 18's will be "quiet". Maybe not piss off the neighbors loud, but most definitely loud enough for me. And if not... Hey, that's why I'm leaving room for 8 ;)

Ask bkolfo4, he knows a lot about IB setups, and actually built a home theater with the FI IB's, and told me he can cleanly play down to 7hz, which I do wanna see someday.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Archived