7.3L diesel issue, advice needed

I had a 7.3 that did this (sputtered and blew white smoke) and i know it sounds stupid but chck the oil.....mine was bone dry filled her up and away she went. Could def be an injector issue or a blown head gasket if its pourig white smoke but thats notorious in the 6.0 not really the 7.3 but anything is possible?! Hope you get er fixed they are great motors - arguably the best ford ever put in a truck!

Thanks for the replys. The oil is full but its dirty and seems pretty thin. Just bought oil and filter today. I haven't driven it since I brought it home so it hasn't been driven around with dirty oil under my ownership. Not so sure I can drive it to the nearest dealership without possibly doing more damage, closest dealership is 25 miles away if there was one closer it would have already been there. Definitely not trying to just throw parts at it with the cost of diesel parts. No antifreeze smell, coolant is full and clean with no diesel smell to it.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

the video i linked shows that there is a separate (?) oil system on the top side of the motor, which drives the injectors.

i have absolutely no idea if the top oil and bottom "normal" oil is the same system. trying to help as much as i can with my limited knowledge of diesel motors.

the video i linked shows that there is a separate (?) oil system on the top side of the motor, which drives the injectors.

i have absolutely no idea if the top oil and bottom "normal" oil is the same system. trying to help as much as i can with my limited knowledge of diesel motors.

Yeah i seen that. Problem is that since this is a van it is practically impossible to work on this thing without dropping the engine from what ive seen so far. Going to remove intake and see if I can access that top oil or whatever he's talking about and change fuel filter while I'm in there as well as change oil and filter on my next day off.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

How long have you had it? How many times have you started it and its done this? Does it do it everytime? Does it do it warmed up, cold, or both? Does it fire right up? Have you plugged the truck in overnight, then tried it? Are you just starting it up, then revving it in park? Does it do it if you foot-brake it? Probably enough ?'s for now....

Around 3 months of ownership, this would be the third time doing this. First time I found out it did it, second time I stood there and smelled the exhaust to see if it was sweet or not, third time I took the video. Out of the past 3 times ive reved it it has done this, i let it warm up before revving it up so I've never tried it cold (figured it wouldn't be good for it). Only have tried it in park, and if by foot braking you mean holding the brake with it in drive it wont rev up far enough with the brakes engaged to reach the point where it starts doing it. I did however back it down my road and floor it back into my driveway and it did it then as well. Ask away man.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

I'm going to do some fiddling around tomorrow. Changing oil and such. I'm particularly going to inspect the turbo and fittings, I have a feeling its some sort of leak or something stuck. I don't know much but since it seems as if its unburnt fuel wouldn't the turbo not boosting enough (leaking boost or some sort of blockage) cause unburnt fuel? Wish I had a boost guage

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Archived