Help on matching crossover points.

Okay, so I have a kenwood ddx-616 Hu. If you're familiar with this, then you know that it has some pretty extensive crossover settings in the HU itself. If not, then ill explain. It bassically has a setup where you can select each individual speaker, and you tell the HU what type of speaker it is. The size, whether its a 3-way/2-way coax, or a component set, etc. Then for each individual speaker, it has a crossover sceen that is pretty much a replica of Audacity's setup, where you can set it flat, from 0hz to (im not exactly for sure, but lets just guess) 200khz. Now, of course I know I should take the CC-1 and set the crossovers on my amps to match my speakers in the car. But would it be best for me to utilize the HU and match these setting with the amps, or should I just keep these flat, and allow my amps crossovers to do all the work?

mivtCK.png

Well your example are bad.

No such thing as 0hz

And audio doesnt go up to 200khz

Try again?

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

set the crossovers to match the speakers...

i dont understand

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

I clearly said i wasnt for sure wat the start nd end points were in the headunit nd i was just guessing for an example. And i may be a little confused on my terminology here. But what i am reffering to as the crossover is the part on the amp/headunit that you adjust to allow the subs to play only your low frequencies such as 100hz nd below, nd my mids/highs to play everything 100hz nd above. Point being, i kno i set my crossovers on the amp according to the speaker that the amp is pushing. But, should i set the crossovers on my headunot to match the amp, or should i just leave the headunit flat nd let the amp do all the filtering?

mivtCK.png

Someone once said to me not to use a crossover before the amp because it makes the amp less efficient. I am not smart enough to argue that, but my little brain calls b.s. since the amps internal crossover is applied before the signal gets amplified. If you don't have a cc-1 you can use your head units crossovers to get your amps close by using a volt meter and using method 2 below.

in order of best to worst methods for you.

1. use the cc-1 and use only the amps crossovers.

2. Turn your amps crossover beyond where you want it, higher for low pass, lower for high pass. Set your h/u crossover. Check voltage and adjust the amp until you start to see voltage drop. That asumes that you trust your h/u to be accurate. Then diable your h/u crossover.

3. Use the h/u crossover and put the amps to all pass.

How complicated do you want this to be, because i can get stupid with this if you want. Stop over thinking it.

Its called cascading

You only use 1 crossover.

So just pick one. Either the deck or the amp.

Cascading is bad mmmmkk

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Okay...i never heard of cascading, but using common sense, it just seemed best to use ONLY the amp crossovers. Keep It Simple Stupid K.I.S.S. has been going through my mind the entire time i was thinking over this. I just wanted a third party's opinion on it. Thanks.

mivtCK.png

Archived