79Bronco Posted September 19, 2012 Author Report Posted September 19, 2012 I understand impedance does not change on a bridged setup. It is bridged to draw more power since the drivers are 8 ohm. I was under the impression that crossovers do not greatly affect the impedance seen by the amp. I thought their only job was to split up frequency. Why, in this case, does the crossover all of a sudden have a huge impact on the nominal impedance seen by the amp? Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart Processor: Digital Designs X1 Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400 Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28 Rear fill: Hertz 165xl Subs: 2 SA-12's 3-way active ftw
rockFord_Expedition Posted September 19, 2012 Report Posted September 19, 2012 It's not an all of a sudden change. Have you ever bought a component set bnib and measured the impedance of each speaker individually? You can have 2 4 ohm speakers connected to a passive xover and the amp "sees" 4 om still. You can read up on it here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/147511-component-speakers-impedance-values.html Old School/New School RF Build March 2015 SOTM Winner How to crimp large wire
79Bronco Posted September 19, 2012 Author Report Posted September 19, 2012 It's not an all of a sudden change. Have you ever bought a component set bnib and measured the impedance of each speaker individually? You can have 2 4 ohm speakers connected to a passive xover and the amp "sees" 4 om still. You can read up on it here: http://www.diyaudio....nce-values.html :facepalm: Yes I understand this. I have two 8 ohm speakers. Amp should see an 8 ohm load, correct? The way I read your post made it seem like the crossovers would have an effect on the nominal impedance seen by the amp. Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart Processor: Digital Designs X1 Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400 Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28 Rear fill: Hertz 165xl Subs: 2 SA-12's 3-way active ftw
rockFord_Expedition Posted September 19, 2012 Report Posted September 19, 2012 I was going off of the "impedance load on amp??" part of your drawing. Sorry if I was beating a dead horse there. Old School/New School RF Build March 2015 SOTM Winner How to crimp large wire
79Bronco Posted September 19, 2012 Author Report Posted September 19, 2012 so 8 ohms nominal? and yes this setup will work? lol Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart Processor: Digital Designs X1 Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400 Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28 Rear fill: Hertz 165xl Subs: 2 SA-12's 3-way active ftw
rockFord_Expedition Posted September 19, 2012 Report Posted September 19, 2012 . Old School/New School RF Build March 2015 SOTM Winner How to crimp large wire
79Bronco Posted September 19, 2012 Author Report Posted September 19, 2012 Funky, I think I get what you are trying to say. I understand that the impedance seen by the amplifier is constantly changing as music is sent to the speakers. I understand that by introducing a passive crossover, the goal is to make the impedance much higher at lower frequencies for the tweet and much higher at higher frequencies for the mid. By making the impedance exponentially high, the hope is that the signal roll-off will be so great, that there will be little to no reproduction of undesired frequencies. Is that what you're trying to get at? The only reason I am asking for nominal load is because I want to know, realistically, what kind of amplifier to start looking for. Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart Processor: Digital Designs X1 Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400 Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28 Rear fill: Hertz 165xl Subs: 2 SA-12's 3-way active ftw
79Bronco Posted September 21, 2012 Author Report Posted September 21, 2012 Bump, would like to order everything tomorrow. Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart Processor: Digital Designs X1 Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400 Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28 Rear fill: Hertz 165xl Subs: 2 SA-12's 3-way active ftw
79Bronco Posted September 28, 2012 Author Report Posted September 28, 2012 Speakers and crossovers have arrived. I'll be returning them all. I've decided to just go fully active instead. Swapping out the nd105-8 for the 4 ohm version, will be looking for different tweeters as well. Also looking for advice on an active crossover. If I can get away with just running the one built into the amp, I'd be much happier than shelling out 100-300 for an external. Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart Processor: Digital Designs X1 Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400 Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28 Rear fill: Hertz 165xl Subs: 2 SA-12's 3-way active ftw
79Bronco Posted October 6, 2012 Author Report Posted October 6, 2012 Here's the new plan. Amp is a Soundstream 6 channel. Components are Cadence Tweet Dayton Mid Beyma Woofer Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart Processor: Digital Designs X1 Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400 Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28 Rear fill: Hertz 165xl Subs: 2 SA-12's 3-way active ftw
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.