Jump to content

Building my own 3 way, please critique!


79Bronco

Recommended Posts

Posted

Howdy SMD forum :rockwoot:

I'm going to try to make this as to-the-point as I can.

I am going to replace the front stage in my 2010 Jetta. I am using factory speaker locations. Speaker sizes are 1", 4", and 8". I will be adding plenty of deadener to the doors.

Head unit is a Pioneer 4400. RCA's tested 40/40 no clipping on flat EQ. It has an 8 band EQ.

For the 1" and 4", I want to get a 2-way component set with a passive xover. This will go to the "A-channel" on my 4 channel amplifier. I will set the crossover to high pass and cut frequency appropriately.

For the 8", I will be using only the xover on the "B-channel" of my amp. Setting low pass frequencies appropriately.

The H/U only has 4 sets of preouts (not including sub). I will get a Y-adapter for the RCA's so that I can effectively run my front stage off of just the first set of preouts. Rear stage will come at a later date, hence not using the second set.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cliffs notes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pioneer 4400. 40/40 no clipping 8 band EQ

(2x) 1" + 4" 2- way component set w/ passive xover

(2x) 8" midbass driver

(1x) 4 channel amplifier

2 channel rear to come later

Does anyone see a problem with this? I do not want to go active since it's $$$, but I feel that this can be a good solution to a nice 3 way system. It never hurts to get a second set of eyes on my schematics, so please feel free to rip me a new one.

169518_10151396690559622_1323848912_o.jpg

Thanks!

Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart

Processor: Digital Designs X1

Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400

Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28

Rear fill: Hertz 165xl

Subs: 2 SA-12's

3-way active ftw

Posted

Just out of curiousity, what amp are you planning on using? Depending on the amp you will use you might be able to get rid of the passive xover. Reason being is 2-way comp speakers are designed to cover the frequencies down to around where the sub will fall off (around 80-100 hertz I beleive depending on the speakers). So it would kind of make the 8" a bit pointless. Where as if you get rid of the passive xover, you could control the frequencies that each speakers see giving you a bit more control especially if you want to use an 8" with the comp set.. just a thought either way.

Posted

I have not picked out a specific amp yet. My rationale behind using the passive x-overs is that they come with the 2-way component kit.

Could you explain more about how it would be possible to eliminate the xovers? I have seen most 4" drivers play down to around 100hz (not that I plan on running them that low), but most tweeters would play to around 3k Hz. It seems like a crossover would be needed.

Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart

Processor: Digital Designs X1

Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400

Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28

Rear fill: Hertz 165xl

Subs: 2 SA-12's

3-way active ftw

Posted

I would try to find an amp that has crossovers built in (I think that is what scynte is talking about). Also if you go this route it opens up the option of buying single drivers rather than a set. If you decide to do this I would recommend this tweeter:

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/lpg-soft-dome-tweeters/lpg-25nfa-1-textile-dome-tweeter-neodymium-magnet/

It is my favorite sounding tweeter to date and will play well down to about a 3k crossover point like you described

Team NorthWestSPL

Posted

What Im getting at, is how would it be possible to cross over frequencies on one channel to two different speakers. I dont want to send a 300hz tone to my tweet, and I dont want to limit my 4" to only 3khz and up.

Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart

Processor: Digital Designs X1

Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400

Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28

Rear fill: Hertz 165xl

Subs: 2 SA-12's

3-way active ftw

Posted

You are on the right track

Highpass Passive to mid tweet

Lowpass active to the mid bass

But also set highpass at 50-60 on the deck

Focal, hertz, hybrid all make A nice 3 way set that will fit your needs.

Go with nice speakers and throw some power at it.

150 per side should be just fine.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz
Posted

If I ever get around to building some speakers for my home/computer, I'll be doing it with Dayton components in a 3-way.

Tweet - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=275-140&scqty=4

Mid - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=285-020

Woofer - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-376

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

Posted

Ray, thanks for the helpful reply.

BobbyG, no offense but your post has absolutely nothing to do with my OP.

Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart

Processor: Digital Designs X1

Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400

Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28

Rear fill: Hertz 165xl

Subs: 2 SA-12's

3-way active ftw

Posted

Was just a suggestion for the components of the 3 way

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

Posted

hope you're not gonna be running the square kicker woofers, judging on the square subwoofers drawn in the picture.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1025 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...