So when I saw that Kydex holster I thought it was pretty neat shit and something I could do. So I got some kydex off of Amazon ($8 for 12"x12" .06" sheet) and I found some scraps of wood, bought a hinge and some small clamps. I also got a menards brand dremel, its on sale for 14.96 right now with a $5 mail in rebate so it like ten bucks and its been pretty good so far.

The sheath is for my S&W HRT boot knife, I got two years ago and it did not come with a sheath, so I fastened a duct tape and cardboard sheath together (in one of the pics). I saw the kydex and knew it was the perfect thing for my knife so I can actually carry it. I took pictures when I could. I plan to cut it out and fasten it together tomorrow.

Something I read on another forum when researching was that a cheapo electric griddle turned to 300 degrees F is great for heating the kydex. Most griddles will shut off when they get to temp so when the little light goes off toss your kydex onto the griddle for right at 2 minutes and you are golden. Now something I came up with was to use a metal spatula (with insulated handle) and to put it on the griddle too and let it get hot and that is how you can take the kydex off of the griddle and put it into your press without getting cold spots in it from a cold metal spatula. Also another trick is to put a pillowcase or part of a shirt on the foam to let it slide as you close the press.

Going to have some elsatic velcro straps run through the side so keep it in place on my leg.

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

IMAG0112.jpg

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0109-1.jpg

IMAG0108-1.jpg

IMAG0114-1.jpg

IMAG0115-1.jpg

IMAG0116-1.jpg

IMAG0117-1.jpg

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Foam is from a couch cushion by the way, it worked pretty well.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Looking good so far man, if I may give a few suggestions before you start cutting it.

1. The kydex has a smooth shiny side and a matte textured side. The smooth side is for the inside of the sheath/holster and the texture goes outboard.

2. If you warm the knife up with a hair dryer you can get a little more definition.

3. If you warm up the kydex to 325-340 it's a little easier to work with.

By no means am I an expert but I just wanted to throw that out there to help prevent any excess wear on your blade. Kydex is pretty forgiving and I didn't see any "shiny" spots on the textured side so you can reheat that piece to flatten it back out and flip it over. Good start, I can't wait to see how this turns out. Kydex is fun to play with isn't it.

Looking good so far man, if I may give a few suggestions before you start cutting it.

1. The kydex has a smooth shiny side and a matte textured side. The smooth side is for the inside of the sheath/holster and the texture goes outboard.

2. If you warm the knife up with a hair dryer you can get a little more definition.

3. If you warm up the kydex to 325-340 it's a little easier to work with.

By no means am I an expert but I just wanted to throw that out there to help prevent any excess wear on your blade. Kydex is pretty forgiving and I didn't see any "shiny" spots on the textured side so you can reheat that piece to flatten it back out and flip it over. Good start, I can't wait to see how this turns out. Kydex is fun to play with isn't it.

Thanks for clarifying the matte/shiny side thing, obviously I saw the difference but I just figured it would be preference. As far as heat goes I am planning on getting it a little warmer next time, but make sure you never go above 375 because that is when it "gasses" and releases toxic bad vapors. But thanks for the tips I am probably going to work on it some more this afternoon.

I flipped the shiny out side over, and the I riveted it together after I cut and beveled the opening, another trick I read is that since kydex is springy when cold the placement of your rivets affects sheath/ holster retention. I am still going to shape it some and I need to cut slots for the straps to go through. Also I am going to give it a slight around the leg contour. Also it has enough retention I could easily wear it upside down under a pair of shorts on my thigh.

Well it didnt really turn out 100% like I had hoped, but for free handing it with a dremel I don't think it is too shaby. I still need to cut the slits for the straps but that will be minor and thursday. The "pretty" side of the rivets actually goes against my leg hence also for the reason of a little less definition. I will have to get a vid of the retention because it is excellent.

1348618368399.jpg

1348618368016.jpg

1348618367696.jpg

1348618367341.jpg

1348618367042.jpg

1348618366589.jpg

1348618366124.jpg

Archived