the spectrum is mainly an under body coating. although i have used it in hard to reach areas. It will help to reduce noise and add some protection but it wont do what damplifier can do. you can apply it on the floor or use the gun, or a paintbrush, and apply it to your under body. ive used both methods and they each have pros and cons.

what were the pros and cons, i'm not as particular when it comes to total sound deadening as some people on here, my car is fairly quiet to me other than my exhaust, but then again ive never been in a sound deadened car, so i wouldnt really know the impact it actually makes, just hate rattling on the outside of my car.

well, the gun is nice and easier to apply the spectrum but it stops spraying when the bottle is half empty while you work on the under body. so you have to keep refilling. but the finished product looks nice, not that anyone sees it.

paintbrush just takes a little longer but its easier to tell how thick you are applying it. plus its cleaner. the gun sprays everywhere.

if you are looking for the cheaper option with good products then i would really go for damplifier and remember that 25-50% coverage is all you really need. if you go into it thinking you need to cover every square inch, the cost if pretty daunting.

as for rattles, its usually just a contact point making that noise. like a licence plate or brake light housing. in these cases some silicone or closed cell foam will do a lot more good than deadener.

why damplifier over this. i mean at 25-50% coverage it would cost about the same, im just wondering why u say that

What the f**k is an appropriate signature supposed to look like?

2013 Kia Forte Koup

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

iDMax 12

DD M1c @ 2 ohms

Rockford Prime 200.2

Pioneer 6.75" Comp Set

XS S3400, D2700

Project DB Battery Terminals

Axxess ASWC

Stinger HPM Everywhereeee

90 Sq. Ft. of Stinger Roadkill

Stock Alt

Stuff To Come

Sundown X-12

New Amp

New Comps

4 Channel Amp

My Current Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167462-13-kia-forte-koup-dd-setup/

My Old Build: http://www.stevemead..._+2000 +mustang

because it works better at reducing panel vibration. you could layer on spectrum sludge and get it thick enough to do the same job but you will be done a LOT faster with damplifier. they are two different products designed for different applications. if you really want to lessen panel vibration, get damplifier. if you want an under body coating for protection or reducing road noise, get spectrum.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Yeah I sent Bill (KingSUV) a gallon of Spectrum I had laying around, so he better have used it! Or rather he should be using it shortly... lol :P

Vibration mats and liquid sound deadeners are two completely different products.

Liquid products fall into the FLD (free-layer dampers) or extensional dampers category. This includes most liquid vibration products and a few peel and stick type products that lack a constraining layer (a top layer such as foil, plastic, etc.). The way they work is that vibrational energy is dissipated as a result of extension and compression of the damping material, vs. a CLD (Dynamat, Damplifier, etc.) where the energy is lost through shear deformation of the material.

In most cases CLDs have the upper hand over the liquid products because of their ability to maintain a higher loss factor across a wider range of frequencies, temperatures, and thicknesses of the substrate (in this case the sheet metal of the vehicle). So in layman's terms CLDs are more efficient at controlling vibrations.

HOWEVER that does not mean these liquid products are ineffective or worthless as they do have their place.

For instance, liquid products like Spectrum are a more permanant product and are less effected by the elements, so they work awesomely for use outside of the vehicle where they are exposed to everything. Wheel wells, undercarriage, or even under the hood without fear of failure due to heat or being exposed to the weather.

These products can be sprayed into areas where you simply can not get a mat type product such as body panel cavities, making them extremely versatile and a great anti-corrossive/rust preventer.

So it kind of comes down to personal preference, usage, and goal.

Hope that helps.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

Thanks. I think I'll stick with cld in the trunk and get some spectrum for the under carriage and tire wells since I know those are some of the main sources of my noises in my car

2013 Kia Forte Koup

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

iDMax 12

DD M1c @ 2 ohms

Rockford Prime 200.2

Pioneer 6.75" Comp Set

XS S3400, D2700

Axxess ASWC

Stock Alt

Stuff To Come

Sundown X-12

New Amp

New Comps

4 Channel Amp

My Current Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167462-13-kia-forte-koup-dd-setup/

Sounds like a good plan to me.

If you need any product specific advice, don't hesitate to drop us a line. We're always happy to discuss your needs.

usa_render4.png

I used it on the underside of my car with great results. Particularly under the cargo area in my Jimmy where a lot of road noise was getting in. This stuff is great for exterior applications or anywhere regular deadener might get wet.

I'm gonna hate

im telling yah man

stinger roadkill

110 bucks shipped will get you 36 square feet

compared to damplifier pro ( B-stock) which is like 160+ after shipping for 30 square feet

thicker foil and cheaper....... i know its not all about the foil size but the best bang for your buck is roadkill and ill rep it till i die

(ive used damplifier pro/dynamat/fatmat/roadkill/audiotechnix 60mill and 80 mill) and by far roadkill lasted longer and didnt stink/peel off/melt off like some of the brands i listed

if you want i got a few youtube videos of different shit i used on my last build and other builds

down rpping vanderbilt. 30 miles from victoria. i own the 3rd loudest setup here out of 3. but i did put together all 3 setups

^^ Cant wait to swalllow Ghost's babies

I don't want to start anything and would like to see this thread stay on topic (liquid sound deadener products), but Stinger Roadkill Expert does NOT have thicker foil.

Their published aluminum thickness is 6 mil whereas Damplifier and Damplifier Pro both sport 6.5 mil foil. Also their foil is a "dead soft foil" and ours... well isn't.

Still Stinger is one of the better products out there. And it is made in the USA just like our stuffs too.

Did our product stink, peel, or melt as you mentioned? Because this would sure as hell be a first and would like to investigate.

usa_render4.png

Sounds like a good plan to me.

If you need any product specific advice, don't hesitate to drop us a line. We're always happy to discuss your needs.

will do man, and thanks again.

2013 Kia Forte Koup

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

iDMax 12

DD M1c @ 2 ohms

Rockford Prime 200.2

Pioneer 6.75" Comp Set

XS S3400, D2700

Axxess ASWC

Stock Alt

Stuff To Come

Sundown X-12

New Amp

New Comps

4 Channel Amp

I don't want to start anything and would like to see this thread stay on topic (liquid sound deadener products), but Stinger Roadkill Expert does NOT have thicker foil.

Their published aluminum thickness is 6 mil whereas Damplifier and Damplifier Pro both sport 6.5 mil foil. Also their foil is a "dead soft foil" and ours... well isn't.

Still Stinger is one of the better products out there. And it is made in the USA just like our stuffs too.

Did our product stink, peel, or melt as you mentioned? Because this would sure as hell be a first and would like to investigate.

well their new 25% lighter stuff may be a little thinner over all

but the stuff i got for my last build was the stuff from a year ago and hella thick like a pop can cut in half (i have a pretty nice scar on my finger from it and yes that is no way to rate a product on how well it cuts human flesh but it was thick! )

i will list the products and the "defects/faults" it had in my eyes and real world application

all applications followed manufactures guides and my own technique of cleaning (acetone and a fiber cloth)

fatmat (stuck like hell at first but either my nose got use to it or it went away)

dynamat (for the coverage/price is better to put rocks tied to a string on your panels)

audiotechnix 60 mill ( this is the peanutbutter colored product i used and it didnt stick for shit after break like 3 rollers it finally decided to stick to the roof)

audiotechnix 80 mill (again the peanut butter color was sent to me via usps and after 5 days of transit time when it arrived it was melted like toffy all over the place attempting to stick it to anything resulted in a goo mess but hell it did stick)

stinger road kill ( loved it other than the firmness it had after letting it sit out in the sun for a half hour or so) (oh and a sheet of this was in my truck during the summer all they way till my tranny went out about 3 months of summer heat above 80 degrees and it NEVER melted or deformed)

and now to second skin

i only used the damplifier pro (not b stock)

and at first it was very easy to go on (after a few minute in the sun) still hold together to this day i believe (its on the roof of a 99 GSX eclipse)

doesnt stink

didnt deform or melt when we left half a sheet in the hot sun for about 8 hours while installing the rest of my friends audio equipment and lunch and dinner forgot on hot pavement that day lol

the only down fall is the price vs coverage

nothing would make me happier to use and support seconskin like alot do but for the BEST bang for your buck roadkill all day :S ( in my eyes atleast)

.5mil of foil i doubt makes a impact and if it does it isnt worth the extra 60 dollars your product is (B STOCK PRICES) and 6 less square feet

down rpping vanderbilt. 30 miles from victoria. i own the 3rd loudest setup here out of 3. but i did put together all 3 setups

^^ Cant wait to swalllow Ghost's babies

Archived