Need some help deciding on a new HU

inm

I'm gonna quote myself from my build thread, I feel like I'll get better help in this section, no one looks at my build. :P

Fun Fact:

The headunit I have doesn't have a subwoofer level setting... It just has on and off.

So now it's time to find a new headunit. This time I'm gonna try not to cheap out.

Anyone care to give me some suggestions?

I want a 7" screen, iPod/USB, and CD/DVD. I found a Pioneer that I LOVE but it doesn't have CD/DVD... Anyway, not looking to spend more than like $500, so any suggestions will definitely be appreciated.

On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

Checkout the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH as well as the 8400. You'll have to shop around but you can get where you want to be price-wise. I got the 8400 for $475 + tax

Checkout the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH as well as the 8400. You'll have to shop around but you can get where you want to be price-wise. I got the 8400 for $475 + tax

The 8400 looks awesome to me, and it seems I can grab one for around $500 on Amazon.

The only problem I have is that it's not a CD/DVD player. That being said, can you play video from USB? I only want CD/DVD for movies. If I can just play them from USB then that's not needed.

2008 Subaru Forester XT

Everything I'm reading says the 8400 doesn't have CD/DVD... Interesting.

None the less, it does do video from USB? If you don't mind, can you test it personally and tell me? I don't know of many that can that.

edit-

Wow, I am STUPID. Looked again and it does CD/DVD... Idk wtf I was reading. Thanks a ton, I think I know which HU I'm getting now. :D

2008 Subaru Forester XT

I can assure you that it does video from USB, have used it many times. It's the hu I have in my Expedition

Edit: it comes a USB cable, but if you have an iPod I would buy the iPod cable. Let me know if you want any help with it, including the parking brake bypass.

I can assure you that it does video from USB, have used it many times. It's the hu I have in my Expedition

Edit: it comes a USB cable, but if you have an iPod I would buy the iPod cable. Let me know if you want any help with it, including the parking brake bypass.

Alright cool, cool. What formats will it play? The ones I need, or would like, are MP4, AVI, WMV, and MKV.

Do I have to do anything special for the parking brake bypass? My current HU was as simple as grounding the parking brake cable out, but I know some units require other stuff.

2008 Subaru Forester XT

Mkv is the only one I can't say for sure...

This hu wants to sense "on-off-on" from the parking brake.. You can use a relay or if you want to connect the green wire to ground you can, you just need to put a switch on the wire. I chose to go with a hidden switch for mine.

Mkv is the only one I can't say for sure...

This hu wants to sense "on-off-on" from the parking brake.. You can use a relay or if you want to connect the green wire to ground you can, you just need to put a switch on the wire. I chose to go with a hidden switch for mine.

The way I'm reading this, I would need to flip this switch twice everytime I start the car, to be able to watch video?

Or am I reading this completely wrong?

2008 Subaru Forester XT

Archived