DC Sound Lab

2 DC Level 4 12"s vs 15"s, 1 DC Level xl(or)5 18" (which to buy)

Hey guys, so im pretty sure I have a job here now, have an interview Tuesday anyways.... I am going to be ordering these subs on my 2nd or 3rd paycheck and want to know what you think would be best. I have a kicker 2500.1 that outputs 2845 rms @14.4v's which match the level 4's perfect. I just want to know from what you guys have experienced which size would sound the best and be better. I have had kicker cvx 15's before and loved how low that they got, but the only thing I didnt like was that they didnt cover much range above 60hz really, I know 12"s will cover it a little better for an all around better range. Im running 4 sets of QS mids on a lot of power, so that 6 - 6.5 inch mids, 2 - 5.25 mids, 8 - 1" inch tweeters. its hard for me to decide, been watching youtube videos on both, the 12" one on one hand would be nice cause I could have a smaller box, recommened 1.5 cubs per sub, so 3 cubic feet, vs the 15's wanting 3.25 cubs each, so 6.5 cubic feet, but the 15's get so damn low, hell maybe considering 1 - 18" level xl or 5, not sure though. XD. Smaller box = more room in my limited trunk + less weight of the box. I have to get my amp situated too with good cooling. Because im so limited on the space, I am actually going to cut a square through the middle section of my rear seats, around 8' inches wide and 12's inches tall or so to get 100sq inches of port, the port will run up to the middle arm rest of the front seats, this will let me fit all the port in, and I am going to make some awesome arm rests for the rear seats + cup holders and all that, dont get me started on the lighting that will be inside the port :D let me know what you guys think from your experiences. This is all going into a tiny mazda3 hatch, with very little airspace inside, my kicker cvx 15's in a 6cub box sealed were making my whole windshield flex and move back in forth around 1/5 - 2 inches, so I cant wait to get these in ha ha ha ha

Oh yea, im doing the wide roll surround on the sub, and a red black kevlar carbon woven dustcap, do you guys recommend a stiffer spider too? or anything else, thanks again :D cant wait to finish and enter sotm!!!!

The system im buiding I want to basically if some one pulls up thumping thinking they are kick ass, that when I turn mine on they shit there pants and feel heart broken ha ha

Edited by dereileak

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

With your amp I would do the Level 4s and size is totally up to you. If you have the room to do 15s, then thats what I would do, if not the 12s will be great. No need for any suspension changes either.

One thing though, the red cf caps are out of stock and I am not sure when they will be back.

With your amp I would do the Level 4s and size is totally up to you. If you have the room to do 15s, then thats what I would do, if not the 12s will be great. No need for any suspension changes either.

One thing though, the red cf caps are out of stock and I am not sure when they will be back.

Damn, well it will be at least a month before ordering, probably a month and a half, thats if I get the job, im kinda thinking 15's, but damn its hard to decide :( as far as suspension, all the weight in the back is making the back sag, so I will eventually do all new shocks around, and new front lowered springs, keeping the rear stock springs for the softer ride :P I can fit about a 6.5 cub box at most but it eats up my whole trunk, I could make it look alot sweeter back there with 12's cause of the extra room, but damn trade offs make it hard

Pioneer 4300DVD
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer

XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)

I say go for 12's as well, gives you alot more room to work with.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

I would rather see the 12s back there with a proper size box and have room for batteries and amp and stuff.

I say go for 12's as well, gives you alot more room to work with.

15's are probably dreaming to big for back there, ha ha, I would have a crap ton more room for design and stuff with 12's, i think im leaning towards 12's, plus 12's sound so damn nice :D

Pioneer 4300DVD
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer

XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)