I need to get some of those LED's for myself! How's the painting going?

before you do make sure you check with me to make sure you get the right ones! and it's still just primer right now :P i need to go sand it with 400 grit, which i might do tonight, and then i need to get a couple cans of gloss white :)

Haha alright. Can you cut the ribbon and still use both part? Or how does that work?

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

I need to get some of those LED's for myself! How's the painting going?

before you do make sure you check with me to make sure you get the right ones! and it's still just primer right now :P i need to go sand it with 400 grit, which i might do tonight, and then i need to get a couple cans of gloss white :)

Haha alright. Can you cut the ribbon and still use both part? Or how does that work?

yeah you can cut them. they are ment to be cut every 10 led's i think, but you might be able to cut them every 3 . and on the end they have little copper tabs you can solder wire onto. there are people who make solderless connectors for them but its not worth it to me. especially since im gonna be putting bolt terminals for them and i just need strait wire.

and you can see the little tabs in my pics

oh and btw i know i told you i was gonna build my own controller for these but i don't think so anymore, i kind of like the remote control. i might look later on getting one that will react to the music but for right now im ok.

I think you have a bit of truck stuck in your mud bro

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470
1/0ga stinger wiring for big 3
1/0ga ofc flextech wiring

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

in a 27Hz tuned ported box

LE BUILD LOG!!!

alright got some work done tonight. finally kicked myself in the butt enough to cut out the big piece for my bench thing in my truck.

also i did a horrible cut on it.

WP_002140.jpg

yeah it's bad :P

WP_002141.jpg

but it should be fine. just gonna put it so it's the back edge and the sub will cover it :) lol

also for some odd reason the flash wasn't working on my phone so i'll try to get better pics of it tomorrow but for now there's this.

WP_002146.jpg

and then just trying to somewhat fix it.

WP_002147.jpg

anyways, also got the primer sanded and man did it make a difference on how smooth it is! i was surprised honestly! can't wait to feel what 1500 grit paper makes it feel like when im done painting!

oh also decided to start making update videos on my youtube channel so if you wanna maybe get stuff i miss in here go subscribe to me!

(btw uploading a update video right now and i have in it a frequency sweep of my 53Hz t-line)

anyways more progress to come! can't wait to get closer to getting it put together!

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

WHAT? AN UPDATE!?!?!

yeah sorry guys, i've been meaning to do some updates. but now i have tons of picks!!

first of went to home depot and got these

WP_002148.jpg

and yeah it's getting colder outside here

WP_002149.jpg

so had to make a little "heat area" in the garage so i'd be painting above 40 degrees.

WP_002155.jpg

and sorry it's been a while since i took all these picks and they all look pretty similar and that's why i haven't been updating much :P

i think this is what it looked like when i started with the color coats

WP_002157.jpg

i should have traced out where the walls were when i primed cause i did it now and i missed some :./

WP_002158.jpg

getting shinier!

WP_002159.jpg

decided to just paint over the bare area and see what happenes

and this is it

WP_002160.jpg

pretty ugly huh? it got better after sanding though.

wet sanding the color!

WP_002164.jpg

and here it is im pretty sure after the color coats and sanding it

WP_002172.jpg

anyways gonna do thiis in two parts. so here's the main painting part of what's been happening. now for the good stuff!

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

this is the cool stuff.

first off on a random side note. it think it's time for the big 3 upgrade :P i was driving down the road and my whole truck just died. coasted to a stop and found this. the bat neg to body broke.....could explain the bat corrosion and horrible current drop even when just running 250 rms :P

WP_002182.jpg

alright, so now to put the box and lights together! at least this was just a mock up of it. the paint still needs clear coat in these pics. but you get the idea!

WP_002173.jpg

and if you love blue, here you go!

WP_002174.jpg

alright now just gotta get through the last steps of painting.

and i forgot i didn't get any pics of putting on the clear. it's kind of hard to take pics of that.

so here's putting cutting compound and waxing the paint! (and wet sanding the clear)

WP_002183.jpg

trying to take pics of how reflective it is. it's better but still wish it was good enough to do my air in. :P

WP_002184.jpg

here's a better pic

WP_002191.jpg

alright i was trying to show you guys the difference between doing the waxing stuff and now

so here the left wall has the wax in it and you can see the line pretty well reflecting off it from the corner

WP_002185.jpg

and now this is all with out the waxing stuff and it's hard to tell cause it's flipped but it has the same corner sort of deal but it's just flipped upside down

WP_002187.jpg

alright got everything waxed and i kind of like this pic

WP_002190.jpg

now time to work on the leds!

got them cut down into the strips i need.

WP_002189.jpg

and now the little pads i have to solder onto

WP_002192.jpg

and just a for warning i stink at soldering and the gun i was using sucked and only had one spot that would actually transfer heat semi ok.

non the less here's a glimpse of one i was half way through.

WP_002194.jpg

alright got all the leads hooked up to them

WP_002195.jpg

and now got them wired in pairs

WP_002196.jpg

ugghhh all that work and to find out there was too many images. how many images can be in one post?

anyways it's gonna be in three parts actually

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

alright ready to start putting the leds in!

and now got the holes for my little bolt terminals for them

WP_002197.jpg

WP_002198.jpg

i think they're just laying in there now. for the ring terminals i actually crimped them and then soldered them in

WP_002199.jpg

WP_002200.jpg

gonna flip the screws around once i actually put it in.

alright got one strip on.

WP_002201.jpg

cause of the wax and stuff i had to scrap it off so the adhesive on the back of the strips would work.

WP_002202.jpg

i also sanded it down in the spots and heres the last one ready to be put on

WP_002203.jpg

so after getting the wires where i wanted i actually used this "shoe glue" stuff that worked really well as a clear adhesive and well now non of my wires or strips are coming off :)

WP_002204.jpg

^looking at it thats actually before i put the shoe glue on.

and on my last bolt i accidentally tightened it too much and broke it :(

WP_002206.jpg

so went to ace today and they didn't have brass and it was like a 40 minute drive out to homedepot to get them so i decided the steel one was ok. plus it's not too much current for these and it'll permanently mark which terminal is the 12V.

also got some security for when the sub goes in!

WP_002209.jpg

anyways here's the terminals all fixed and looking good.

WP_002210.jpg

and lastly! here's how everything looks right now!

and not trying to sound conceded but i like how it came out

WP_002207.jpg

i have a video of what it looks like that i'll try uploading and putting on here but let me know what you guys think!!

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

Looks like the colors show up really well on there!

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

wow video uploaded a lot faster then i thought. here it is

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

Looks like the colors show up really well on there!

they do! and i guess that's why im please with it. and actually i forgot to mention that most my pictures i have it running off of about 9v. so when it's in my truck at 12+ volts it's gonna be brighter and look better

edit: oh and i've been kind of stress testing them over the last day or so while i still have the top off to get to them an the most that i've gotten is after running them for hours at 13.3v they get a tiny bit warm.

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

Archived