Sundown Audio

bass boost question

ddlvr630

ive always wondered and never really found a good explaination. whats the point in the bass boost setting on an amp? i know its for a set frequency. so does that mean to only use it if your burping a certain tone? ive heard it clips no matter how much you use it. i know on my amp it has a bass boost and bass boost frequency setting. all i have is my ear o meter. im afraid to turn my gain up to high so i had my bass boost up half way just to test it and the subs got a lot louder. is that still a no no? can anyone explain why it on a lot of amps if theres hardly any use for it?

2004 cavalier 2 door 5 speedalpine cda-103skar pax 6.5s

power acoustik D1-6000power acoustic 4-2600soundquest 1/0 throughoutDC XL M2 18 walledstock altbig 3 donestock battery under hood, 1400cca 400ah semi battery in the trunk

Seems like u have heard a lot of wrong. On mobile, someone else can hopefully explain

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Seems like u have heard a lot of wrong. On mobile, someone else can hopefully explain

i hope so. i would love to use the bass boost without turning the gain up much. i dont know. im still learning a lot about car audio...

power acoustik D1-6000power acoustic 4-2600soundquest 1/0 throughoutDC XL M2 18 walledstock altbig 3 donestock battery under hood, 1400cca 400ah semi battery in the trunk

The general rule of thumb is to cut not boost. A lot of cars just resonate around 40 to 50hz and most bass boosts are right in there. It's stupid to see companies like RF and such put bass boost on their amps when they know that rule.

ok, im off mobile.

the point of the bass boost on amplifiers is to flatten the response curve at the given frequency, this will mainly come into use with someone who has a big drop in volume at a particular frequency (something like an EQ that only boosts and is usually a fixed frequency)

the reason most shouldnt use it is because they dont have a dip, and they use it as "it makes my shit bang" knob and think its the bees knees when they turn it up.

it doesnt cause auto clipping when in use, but can easily cause clipping when used incorrectly like most do. (ear o meter is a no go)

just because it makes it louder without gain doesnt mean it doesnt cause harm, you are still pulling more current, and still boosting that frequency, it just happens at the amp instead of a boosted song or boosted headunit setting. all in all dont use it unless you are looking for SQ, can test where you have dips in bass frequencies, and then correct it.

gain is all you need to use, dont use ear o meter either, find a shop with an oscilloscope or see if someone nearby has a DD-1 and can help you out.

edit: bad idea(cleared my edit)

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

i guess i could find out if my shop has an o scope. i know they didnt a few yrs ago when they put my 1st system in my truck i had cuz they tuned by ear. since then, theyve moved from a small shop to a shop 5 times bigger

Simply put, bass boost increases the voltage of your input signal at the given frequency.

It's intended to add a bass boost to songs with without much bass similar to the "Loud" setting on some HU's or as Chevy added, level out a possible dip in your response.

When you use it on songs with lots of bass already, you easily clip the signal.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Archived