99 explorer bagged lot of questions

Hello everyone, I have a couple of question. I just purchased a 99 explorer that has air bag suspension on it. I know nothing about air bags and before i start driving it i would like to figure some things out.

The set up consists of 2 vair 480 compressors, 1 5 gallon tank and 8 bullzluft 280psi valves with 1/2" plastic tubing to all four corners.

20121008_160731_zps20cd436e.jpg

It has Slam RE6s in the back that is c notched and Air lift dominator 2500s up front with no shocks. There is a 7 button switch up front to control everything.

There are no gauge or anything to measure PSI of the tank nothing for safety anywhere.

My first concern is where to buy a PSI gauge for the tank? preferbly a remote mount one. Also, i need to install a blow-off or relief valve for the tank? Right now i was just told not to let it run for more then 20 minutes to be safe. Which i have read is actually too long The 480c only take about 7 minutes to fill the tank to 200psi and i have 2. So i have no idea what the tank pressure is at.

There is a sensor on the tank that is not hooked to anything.

20121008_160745_zpsc5762de2.jpg

The compressors are powered via a 0 gauge power wire that is taped to the power wire for the compressors. I bought it this way and i am trying to fix it.

20121008_160657_zps0110d7b3.jpg

Is there any way to set the right ride height? right now its only all the way down or up or just guessing wath feels level.

I'm just not sure where to start with the whole air ride stuff.

Where is the best place to buy parts fittings and what not? What type of local stores sell air ride stuff?

I'm sorry for all the questions i guess i'm a "noob" when it comes to this.

Thank you for all your help -Jon

LOL it looks like you got yourself into quiet a mess there. First off that sensor on the tank is a pressure switch or rather it SHOULD be a pressure switch unless someone just used something they had laying around to plug the hole. It's there to shut off your compressors when the pressure in the tank gets to a certain point. You'll have to take a DMM to it while the system is empty and run the compressors to see if it closes the circuit. The first thing I would do is fix that atrocious wiring job. Whoever did that should never be allowed near a car again. I would look into a control panel for the whole system. One that I've seen many times is an aluminum plate with 2 gauges and 4 switches. Start at places like Thorbeck Bros. (suicidedoors.com), Stylin' Trucks or Fender Bender International. They should have what you're looking for. The last thing you want to do is drive that thing on the road like that. It could potentially be very dangerous for you or anyone around you.

Edit:

Also, I would put the air valves under the car near the bags. It may just be me, but that PSSST noise would get real annoying after a while being that loud.

Yeah the air valves are very annoying and i only heard them a couple times. i gotta figure out how all this stuff works before i start unpluging stuff. i want to mount everything i can under the explorer so i have lots of room for a stereo system. i only bought the explorer so i could go big on my next system. the bags were just a plus. but i think there going to be a big hassel.

The wiring is terrible i will be covering with some wire loom for now once i figure out how everything is hooked up and wired i will start replacing and relocating most of the stuff.

Can i mount the tank and compressor to the back of a box? Sorry for all the question if you have a good website to get all the basic question answered that would be great.

www.streetsource.com is an awesome forum for anything bagged or juiced. The people on there can tell you everything you need to know and if you have pics of the outside they can probably tell you who built it. It can't lay frame with that trunk space untouched can it? Do you have any pics of the exterior up or down?

Rev. is right about what looks like a pressure switch on your tank. it is supposed to send a signal to turn on/off your compressors depending on what the psi limits they are set at. You can also probably easily get away with mounting that entire system under your truck. Definately get that wiring fire hazard under control before you drive it though. Good luck.

Yeah you could mount it underneath. That tank actually looks like it is designed to mount to the frame rails where the spare tire used to be. I see compressors mounted to frames all the time also but use rubber bushings to keep them from vibrating. Looking closer at the switch on top, it is a pressure switch. At 165 psi, it turns the compressor on and at 200 psi it will open the circuit and turn it off. Just use the switch to activate a relay that will send power to the compressors.

I'd also like to see pics of the outside if you have them. IIRC, these Explorers have I-beams like the Rangers, so you probably have some wicked -camber lol.

Looks like you've got some work ahead of you. I'll second the suggestions of streetsource.com but also where are you located? I might be able to get you in touch with someone around you to help you out. It's easier to have someone show you in person than trying to explain everything online.

www.facebook.com/BILLatDivineCreationsPhoto

He was taunting me. He's all like "come at me bro!" So I'm like "I'm coming at you bro!" And he's like "hey, fuck you" *chomp*. Then I killed it. I win.

^^^ you have truly taken being a lazy fuck to a new level tonight, an MRE. WOW

Thank for all the feed back everyone. I live in norfolk VA if anyone is local that wants to help. i got some photos of the expo all the way up and down.

All the way up.

20121009_180212_zps55d6d361.jpg

Down. When it down the frontend end rests on the tires. The back end does go as low as i would like. That is something i will fix later on hopefully its not too much.

20121009_180350_zpsec5a2014.jpg

This is the back suspension. you can see the c notched frame, bags and everything else.

20121009_175422_zps80787eb8.jpg

This is with the bags with all the air released. there not flat at all. the notch is doing nothing isn't the axle supposed to go into the notch? I'm not sure that the the bags are letting all the air out. Is that a valvue issue? Thanks again for the help everybody.

Actually this might be with the bags up but it doesn't go that low in the back maybe a 4 inch drop.

Im on my iPad right now and hate typing much but I wouldn't put that thing on the road, there's way too much wrong with it. If someone else doesn't chime in ill explain more later when I get to a computer.

www.facebook.com/BILLatDivineCreationsPhoto

He was taunting me. He's all like "come at me bro!" So I'm like "I'm coming at you bro!" And he's like "hey, fuck you" *chomp*. Then I killed it. I win.

^^^ you have truly taken being a lazy fuck to a new level tonight, an MRE. WOW

running a mono leaf setup inst to good. a 4 link would be a good investment. not sure how the bottom of the bag is mounted to the axle, doesnt look like an axle bracket was used. upper mount for the bags could use some attention. how do the welds look? besides those facts and the wiring mess it doesnt seem to be to bad of a ride. if the front tires are hitting the fender well when down then you would need to do some cutting and/or new fender wells so it doesnt lay on it. as mentioned before streetsource is a good place to go to, tons of people that can help there, maybe even find some local guys that can help you out

far as ride height goes that is pretty much where you want to set it. you can use air gauges and ride with a certain psi in the front and back, but remember you would have t oset your link bars at your ride height as well.i have my ride height set to 5 inches off the ground.normally run 80 in front and 40 in the back. but all vehicles and how it rides for you vary from one person/vehicle to another. i have a buddy redoing his truck and set it to 1/2 inch off the ground, thats a low ride height.. lol

Archived