99 explorer bagged lot of questions

Now that I’m at a computer I will explain more about why I wouldn’t put that on the road. For starters you need to get that pressure switch hooked up before running those compressors and chancing killing someone. If the previous owner said they can run up to 20 mins there’s a good chance he has pushed that tank beyond what it is rated for a may have caused structural damage. On top of that, if it’s a steel tank, there’s no moisture traps which is a big no-no. They will start rusting from the inside and along with running it at higher pressures you run the risk of it exploding. You may wonder, how much damage can it cause? Google it and see for yourself.

My next area of concern is the rear suspension. First off the mono leaf thing is a very bad idea. Sure people did it in the past and it may have been just fine however there are a lot of people who did it and it wasn’t just fine. Leaf springs are meant to flex a little however they are also designed to do it with more than one leaf which is part of the reason they are packed the way they are. When you pull all of them out leaving just the main and then make the suspension adjustable you weaken the spring. Think of it this way, take a paper clip, straighten it out, and bend it back and forth and see what happens. The next issue with the rear suspension is the bridge. For one it doesn’t even go all the way across pretty much defeating the purpose of it being there. Second, there is no front/back support to keep them from twisting other than the bag mount. Third is the upper bag mount. It should be attached from under the angle iron. Lastly, in the last pic you say the bag is fully deflated. The bag shouldn’t be stretched like that unless it is completely full. I’m curious to see how it looks inflated.

Sorry for the novel but you aren’t only endangering yourself but anyone else you encounter on the road any time you drive this. You need to look into a link setup to ditch the leaf springs, redo the bridge and bag mounts, and get the bags mounted how they should be. All of those things should take priority over the wiring and compressor/tank/valve location. Sorry if I sound like I'm preaching but I've seen what happens first hand from rides like this being on the road and us minitruckers have enough going against us that we don't need dangerous rides out there giving us an even worse reputation.

www.facebook.com/BILLatDivineCreationsPhoto

He was taunting me. He's all like "come at me bro!" So I'm like "I'm coming at you bro!" And he's like "hey, fuck you" *chomp*. Then I killed it. I win.

^^^ you have truly taken being a lazy fuck to a new level tonight, an MRE. WOW

CLNSHVNnDRAGGN I agree with you. Mono leaf is a bad idea, it works, but it wont last. I'm really curious as to how those Viairs are still pumping if they have been ran for 20 minutes at a time in the past. Should only take about 4-5 minutes to completely fill that tank from empty, assuming you have a normal amount of leaks from a set up like you have. you may have gotten in over your head but i think you will be ok. Just need to start with the suspension. Get it lined out, a link is a great idea. you can buy one online or build one if you are much of a fabricator. Look up yours bag specs online. When a bad is deflated it should only be around 3-4" tall depending on the bag size. It shouldn't be stretched out. You need to invest in a water trap or some way to drain the tank to prevent rusting. Pressure switch for the compressors, a relay for the compressors. You should never need 1/0 wire to run two viair 480s lol. good luck, theres a lot of smart mini truckers out there, im sure you'll find all the answers and help you need if you look hard enough.

Xterra * 69 Camaro * Audi S5

36 Ford * 51 Mercury 

looking for wire sponsor :) 

www.flyracing.com

Thanks for all the input everyone. i know the tank is full of rust. in the back of the expo there is rust that was sprayed out of the valves. i will start pricing everything out. the guy i bought it off of said all i needed was 1 bag and to fix a leak in 1 line. looks like im in way over my head. this thing is gonna be a damn money pit.

I will start knocking out the small stuff first and i WILL keep it off the road until i get this stuff fixed. Thanks again.

! more thing, about the compressors running for 20 minutes the owner said that would be the absolute max running time. He said the tank should be full enough within about 5-8 and to never let it run for more then twenty.i only run it for about 2 minutes to get the frontend off the tires so i can move it. then i empty the tank.

I don't know much about air ride but damnit I can see that is a mess.

When you get around to the audio side of things send me a msg I'm across the water in Yorktown.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

Hit up streetsoure.com and find some people in your area to get some help. Money wise it shouldn't be too bad to get it where it needs to be. If you need to save some $ on parts pm me what you need. I'm pulling all the airside off my truck to put hydraulics on it so I could hook you up on some stuff.

He was taunting me. He's all like "come at me bro!" So I'm like "I'm coming at you bro!" And he's like "hey, fuck you" *chomp*. Then I killed it. I win.

bags can be alot of fun and your setup shouldnt cost too much to get it straightened out rollpans.com and suicidedoors.com are great places to start they have lots of knowledge and wont charge u a small fortune i own a bagged 00 expedition so if you dont find what ur looking for send me a pm and i can get u a parts list and walk you thru the installation of said parts i bagged mine and its just a bigger version of urs and it was both easy and budget friendly to do i have a few tanks compressors and other various air ride parts if you need anything to get u started

if you dont own or drive a customized car/truck/suv you suck lol

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone. i have made alittle progress. i got the back end all the way down finally. i had to rewire the valves because one valve wasn't leting the air out. i ordered a new pressure switch, some fittings, and tubing so i got all the leaks fixed. I got a quote at $700 for a custom 4 link so thats not happening anytime soon.

Right now i need a new tank and a water trap. so if someone want to sell me a used tank for a good price offer it up. the current one is five gallon 7 port i think and it is rusted to the point where im not comfortable filling it up any more then i have to. I also need a psi gauge nothing fancy just functional. If you have a bunch of stuff that you think i will need in the future let me know. 1/2 inch fittings and hose. im not sure if airbag systems are like steroe systems when you have a bunch of random extras that you always need. Just let me know.-Jon

make sure to get a water trap as well, put it between your tank and compressor, far a the link goes, $700 is a bit of money for a link setup. that installed or just the kit?

you can go to rollpans.com and get a 4 link for $200-300 if i remember right. i got a 2 link from them for under $90 shipped, might check them out and see.

I've got lots of extra parts including and unused aluminum tank. If you want pm me and I'll let you know what I've got.

Archived