RCP Audios work log?? old:hanging some speakers

this was the heats leading up to the final i did last week. Im mixing this show monitors are run from a couple of ipads on stage through the behringer x32

in the video im using 4 SRX725's ontop of 2 SRX218's with another 218's on the ground. each side with a rack consisting of one plx1802 at 4 ohms per channel for the horns. a plx3602 for mids at 4 ohms per channel. and two ISA1350's bridged at 4 for the subs all run through a Driverack 260

monitors are 6 SRX712m's along the front (3 pairs) run on 3 GX5 amps Drummer has a jbl eon on a PRX 18" sub. side fills are a PRX double 15+horn ontop of a PRX single 18. the guest band had 4 channels of IEMs with them aswel.

so the behringer was working pretty hard running 12 monitors sends and full 32 input channel.

lighting... well shit I do audio so i dont know much about what they had. some flashy stuff on the right. and by the looks of it some more flashy stuff on the left aswel....

hah nah we had 8 vertical truss with 5 cans on each. behind the drummer was another 6 cans. to the side of stage pointing across (the white lights you see flash) are just 4 cans on each side. then we used the basic free color wash from the venue in the roof with a couple of leaf breaks all run of a full hog with 2 fader wings ( our console, they had an old theatrerlight thing)

I dont know how many actually care about that info. but i was bored so i posted it anyway hah enjoy the vid

ill put up some stuff of the big show at some point

PSN: Rcp_soundz

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

I'll stick a 300 amp fuse in a potato and sell it to you for $2k.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

also that band's age is ranging from 15-17... not half bad if you ask me!

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

wow.,.... not bad at all..

great show man......... Wish i had your ears..... for tuning and such. Great work Ry....

thanks man. shows like that get so tiring after a wile. this was about 5 hours in... about 40 odd bands non stop. your ears get pretty tired. but because its a compition im not alowed to change much to the audio. mainly levels so that the judges can hear everything but i dont alter the sound of it at all so if they sound shit then they sound shit ahhah

also i swear the hi hat wasnt that loud in person lol

this was a fun show, i managed to track down a cobra PA to try out, and now i want one even more. I loved mixing on it, tons of head room, sounded sweet where it needed to. just fantastic

imagebsf.jpg

imageake.jpg

imagelah.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDvvt9Dz9yA

• 3 weeks later...

The EV's aren't the best to be used in larger scale stuff, two per side is going to give you issues with comb filtering. I like them for a nice even flat sound. And yes, the subs are horrible IMHO. They're designed to work together but not for bigger stuff. Mine will be my monitors for the time being until I upgrade again.

Well, if one ran them as a four channel system rather than a two channel system, either group sends off the desk or aux sends if necessary (post fader), then one could send signals to one side or the other, would actually really help with clarity by reducing intermodulation distortion, and would allow for wider spacing of the top boxes. So long as you don't try stuffing the same signal out of each speaker, then it shouldn't comb or notch out.

Also, having the subs more evenly spaced might produce a more planar wavefront, although it doesn't look like that band have much in the way of bass, so could probably have left those subs at home.

Those subs are indeed horrible. Not just horrible sounding, but also chipboard, so if somebody drops one then they can and will fall apart.

there was such a big dead spot in the middle that there was no way any comb filtering was happening

Ummm...

Center panned tracks (ie equal power through each transducer) as a horizontally spaced array of speakers would cause exactly that sort of stuff. Dead spots.

Small distances will produce notching of high frequencies, a few inches. In live sound applications the distances are much larger, comb filtering will reach right down to sub-bass levels, the fact that wedge monitors are generally omnidirectional at low frequencies doesn't help either.

If there was 4 feet between each top box, that's equivalent to a wavelength of 85Hz, although what frequencies are getting boosted/cut depends very much upon where you stand and the difference in path lengths.

But yes, really uneven dispersion would be exactly the result, and in the middle one would probably be able to find some very dead spots just slightly off-center.

The EV's aren't the best to be used in larger scale stuff, two per side is going to give you issues with comb filtering. I like them for a nice even flat sound. And yes, the subs are horrible IMHO. They're designed to work together but not for bigger stuff. Mine will be my monitors for the time being until I upgrade again.

Well, if one ran them as a four channel system rather than a two channel system, either group sends off the desk or aux sends if necessary (post fader), then one could send signals to one side or the other, would actually really help with clarity by reducing intermodulation distortion, and would allow for wider spacing of the top boxes. So long as you don't try stuffing the same signal out of each speaker, then it shouldn't comb or notch out.

Also, having the subs more evenly spaced might produce a more planar wavefront, although it doesn't look like that band have much in the way of bass, so could probably have left those subs at home.

Those subs are indeed horrible. Not just horrible sounding, but also chipboard, so if somebody drops one then they can and will fall apart.

there was such a big dead spot in the middle that there was no way any comb filtering was happening

Ummm...

Center panned tracks (ie equal power through each transducer) as a horizontally spaced array of speakers would cause exactly that sort of stuff. Dead spots.

Small distances will produce notching of high frequencies, a few inches. In live sound applications the distances are much larger, comb filtering will reach right down to sub-bass levels, the fact that wedge monitors are generally omnidirectional at low frequencies doesn't help either.

If there was 4 feet between each top box, that's equivalent to a wavelength of 85Hz, although what frequencies are getting boosted/cut depends very much upon where you stand and the difference in path lengths.

But yes, really uneven dispersion would be exactly the result, and in the middle one would probably be able to find some very dead spots just slightly off-center.

shit, aren't you a ray of sunshine lol. welcome to the forum i guess. Im Ryan

On the [original] subject of hanging speakers, one can also isolate the speakers from transmitting sound in the form of mechanical transmission to the structure of the building using the vibration mounts commonly used for mounting car engines:

108425842_287.jpg

Archived