Is this a daily driven truck? You cannot put a spool on a daily driver.

Really?

Elaborate..

A spool links both axles so they turn at the same speed at all times. When you turn a corner the inside tire travels a shorter distance than the outside tire which means they have to turn at different speeds. If you have a spool this is not possible so the tires will skip, chirp, and squeak and it also makes the vehicle very difficult to turn. This puts a lot of strain on the shafts and gears which could make them break. Makes sense?

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

It's a daily driver. It has a leveling kit, 3" suspension lift, and 35"s. also I think it has limited slip differentials. But also is it possible or mechanically safe to just replace the back differential? Like I said main goal is to be able to spin both tires equally. I plan on doing a lot of horsepower upgrades.

Yes you can just do the back diff to start. Guys do that all the time. Just make sure your gear ratios match front and back. (If you plan on changing gears) Well if you already have a lift and tires I would say a locker would be the next reasonable option. Besides a winch and body armor. I know someone running mechanical lockers front and rear on a 2 door JK and he is very pleased with them. He says they drive just like a normal open diff on the road and lock up as soon as the tires start spinning when he is wheeling.

So it really comes down on what you want to spend. Mechanical lockers are cheaper and activate automatically. An ARB is more expensive, requires an air system, and you have to lock them when you want it. I have also heard good things about OX lockers. They are a selectable locker like an ARB but its activated by a cable, not compressed air. So its cheaper and more reliable.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Also if your truck only spins one tire its most likely an open diff. One way to check: Jack the rear end up so both tires are in the air, put the tranny in neutral. Spin one of the tires. If the other tire spins in the SAME direction you have a limited slip. If the other tires spins in the OPPOSITE direction you have an open diff.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

An open diff only sends power to one wheel at a time. That is why only one wheel spins when you do a burnout.

I limited slip has clutch packs that transfers a portion of the power to each wheel. So both wheel will spins but its no where near as good as a locker.

You gear ratio only changes if you switch your ring gear and pinion. If you don't plan on changing gear ratios then don't worry about it.

A mechanical locker "senses" when one wheel is spinning and will automatically mesh the gears and lock the axles together. As opposed to a seletable locker where you have to lock and unlock the differential via a button, cable, or switch.

Lockers are completely superior off road. However, limited slips and driver skill will get you through almost anything.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

You could say that. Like a said, just a rear locker will get you through most situations. Its up to your wallet to decide between mechanical or selectable. I suggest doing research on the pros and cons of both to decide which fits your style and budget.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

Any time. It's not often a topic comes up that I am actually knowledgeable about! Haha.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

Is this a daily driven truck? You cannot put a spool on a daily driver.

Really?

Elaborate..

A spool links both axles so they turn at the same speed at all times. When you turn a corner the inside tire travels a shorter distance than the outside tire which means they have to turn at different speeds. If you have a spool this is not possible so the tires will skip, chirp, and squeak and it also makes the vehicle very difficult to turn. This puts a lot of strain on the shafts and gears which could make them break. Makes sense?

Fully aware.

I drove a 240sx with a welded diff for 6 months with no problems, except slightly shorter tire life.

Dozens of friends who daily a welded diff for years, nothing's broken.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

Archived